Portland Bad Faith Insurance Lawyer
All insurance companies have obligations to their policyholders that are specifically laid out in their contracts. As a policyholder, your insurance company owes you a fiduciary duty in accordance with your policy. When they breach that duty, they may be committing bad faith, and you may be able to pursue legal recourse with the representation of a highly qualified and experienced lawyer.
The standards in Oregon are nebulous, but insurers are obligated to perform the duties of their contracts according to fair claim settlement regulations. At The Johnston Law Firm, LLC, we can help you understand your rights following a discussion about your particular situation. In a free initial consultation, founding attorney Marc A. Johnston will listen to how you have been impacted, lay out your options and discuss the steps to take next. Our law firm works in your best interests in business and personal insurance disputes. We pursue compensation for any financial losses caused by bad faith, and we will seek punitive damages when it is necessary.
Oregon Bad Faith Insurance Claims Lawyer
Every denied claim is not necessarily insurance bad faith, but we can evaluate your case thoroughly to consider all your options and advise you on the best course of action for your full and fair recovery.
Oregon law imposes general obligations on insurers. If insurers violate laws or perform any of the following unfair claim settlement practices, we can collect attorney’s fees and other damages:
- Delaying payment of claim, stonewalling
- Failing to acknowledge and act promptly on claims communications
- Failing to investigate claims reasonable and promptly
- Delaying investigation or payment of claims by requiring a claimant to the claimant’s physician to submit a preliminary claim report, and then requiring subsequent loss forms when both require essentially the same information
- Failing to pay or deny payment of claim within a reasonable time
- Refusing to defend insured if sued
- Refusing reasonable settlement offers
- Denying coverage outright without proper explanation of the basis relied on in the insurance policy
- Not attempting, in good faith, to settle claims promptly in which liability has become reasonably clear
- Compelling claimants to initiate litigation to recover compensation by offering substantially less than amounts ultimately recovered in actions brought by claimants
- Attempting to settle claims on the basis of an application altered without notice or consent of the applicant
Contact a Portland Insurance Bad Faith Attorney
To understand the unreasonable and unlawful practices that might affect your claim, contact us today to discuss your case with an experienced attorney. Call The Johnston Law Firm at 503-546-3167, toll free at 888-342-7252 or fill out our free confidential case evaluation form on the bottom. We offer a free initial consultation and flexible hours by appointment.
The Johnston Law Firm, LLC proudly represents clients in all cities and counties in Oregon: Portland, Gresham, Milwaukie, Lake Oswego, Tigard, Beaverton, Hillsboro, Multnomah, Washington, Clackamas.