Common Bicycle Accident Injuries and Causes
On behalf of The Johnston Law Firm, P.C. posted in Bicycle Accidents on August 26, 2020
Engaging in any type of sports or recreational activity always carries a certain amount of risk. Accidents can easily happen, leaving you suffering serious personal injuries. Unfortunately, bicycling is one of the most dangerous of activities, whether you ride for fun or as an inexpensive form of transportation. In terms of common bike-related injuries, overuse, rider error, and bicycle accidents are the leading causes.
Overuse, Rider Error, and Trauma Leading to Injuries
Most people do not consider bicycling a dangerous activity but statistics would appear to prove otherwise. According to American Family Physician, bicycle-related injuries are responsible for roughly 580,000 hospital emergency room visits, close 25,000 admissions, and nearly 1,000 deaths each year.
These injuries can occur in neighborhoods, on busy city streets, and on local trails. Among the most common causes include:
- Overuse: This is a frequent cause of bicycle-related injuries and can result from pushing yourself too hard, not warming up before riding, and making too challenging of trips.
- Rider error: Using too large or the wrong type of bike, not wearing the appropriate shoes or other riding equipment, and riding on gravel or other uneven surfaces increases the risk of injuries for bicyclists.
- Trauma: This is by far the most common cause of serious bicycle-related injuries. Unfortunately, bicycle accidents in Portland make headlines on a regular basis. They are often the result of the reckless actions of motorists, such as speeding, running red lights, and driving distracted or impaired.
Common Types of Bicycle-Related Injuries
Even a minor mishap while riding a bike can end up resulting in serious personal injuries. Among the most common include:
- Cuts, lacerations, and road rash: These can occur due to rider error or in bicycle accidents. Cuts and lacerations may be serious enough as to require stitches and put you at risk for infection while rod rash can result in permanent scars.
- Soft tissue injuries: Sprained, strained, and torn muscles often happen due to overuse and are among the most common types of bicycle accident injuries. Unfortunately, it can take months to recover.
- ‘Hot foot’: A common overuse injury, Cycling Weekly reports it typically involves a burning sensation, numbness or pain on the underside of the foot and is caused by pressure on the nerves.
- Broken bones: These can happen due to rider error or bicycle accidents.
- Back, neck, and head injuries: These are most common in bike accidents. Depending on the severity, they can result in permanent impairments.
- Crushing injuries: Caused almost exclusively by bicycle accidents, these can cause serious damage to body limbs and internal organs.
- Spinal cord injuries: As one of the most serious types of bicycle accident injuries, these can result in partial or complete paralysis.
Let Us Help You Today
When serious bicycle accident injuries occur due to the reckless actions of others involved, the Johnston Law Firm P.C. can help you get the compensation you need to recover in a claim. To request a consultation, call (503) 546-3167 or contact our Portland bicycle accident attorneys online today.
Tags: bicycle accidentsRelated Posts: As Daylight Savings Time Ends, Take Steps to Reduce Your Risk of Bicycle Accidents Five Simple Rules For Motorists That Help Prevent Bicycle Accidents In Portland Know What to Do After a Bicycle Accident In Portland 10 Ways to Protect Yourself Against Bicycle Accidents