When Can You Bring A Premises Liability Claim?
In order to seek recovery for your injuries and losses, you must prove that certain legal elements are satisfied in your case. For instance, you must demonstrate the following:
- The property owner owed you a certain duty of care;
- The owner breached that duty; and
- The breach caused you harm and actual losses.
In order to determine what duty is owed, you must examine the relationship between yourself and the property owner. There are three basic legal statuses that are recognized by Portland courts for the purposes of premises liability claims:
- Invitee — A business invitee is a person who is a customer of a restaurant or a store, a concertgoer, or other type of patron. This type of visitors deserve the highest duty of care.
- Licensee — A licensee is not a customer nor is on the property for any business-related reason, however they have permission to be on the property, such as a social guest. They are owed an ordinary duty of care in Oregon.
- Trespasser — Property owners owe no duty of care to individuals who enter the property or remain on the property without permission.
Determining the correct relationship and duty of care can be legally complex. An experienced premises liability attorney will be able to evaluate your situation and advise you of your rights.
Common Types of Premises Liability Accidents
- Slip and falls;
- Falls down stairs;
- Falls from heights;
- Elevator or escalator accidents;
- Construction site accidents;
- Falling objects;
- Swimming pool or spa accidents;
- Dog bites;
- Assaults due to inadequate security; and
- Failure to warn of potential dangers or hazards.
These are only some examples of the incidents that can be at issue in a premises liability case. Many of these accidents can cause serious injuries that require extensive medical treatment and that can even result in long-term challenges, impairments, and disabilities. If you believe that a property owner was to blame for your accident, you should consult with an experienced premises liability attorney who understands the relevant Oregon laws.
Call A Portland Premises Liability Lawyer For Help
Every year, thousands of people in the Portland are injured in accidents that are caused by the negligence of property and business owners who are negligent in failing to keep their premises in a safe condition. When these kinds of accidents occur, victims can often recover compensation for their medical expenses, lost income, physical and emotional pain and suffering, property damage, or other losses they experience as a result of the accident in which they were involved. At the Johnston Law Firm, we are committed to helping people who have been hurt in accidents hold the party or parties responsible for their injuries legally accountable. To schedule a free consultation with a Portland premises liability lawyer, contact our office today at (503) 546-3167.
Don’t miss out on these common personal injury mistakes.
Get the legal counsel you need to guide you through the process of filing an injury claim.
Free Confidential Case Evaluation
Contact us today at
to get a FREE, confidential case evaluation
We’re conveniently located in downtown Portland, and we offer flexible hours by appointment.