Portland Bad Faith Insurance Lawyer
Is your insurance company refusing to protect you, or pay your claim, or exposing you to needless litigation? All insurance companies have obligations to their policyholders that are specifically laid out in their contracts. As a policyholder, your insurance company owes you a fiduciary duty in accordance with your policy. When they breach that duty, they may be committing bad faith, and you may be able to pursue legal recourse with the representation of a highly qualified and experienced lawyer.
The standards in Oregon are nebulous, but insurers are obligated to perform the duties of their contracts according to fair claim settlement regulations. At Johnston Law Firm, P.C., we can help you understand your rights following a discussion about your particular situation. In a free initial consultation, founding attorney Marc A. Johnston will listen to how you have been impacted, lay out your options and discuss the steps to take next. Our law firm works in your best interests in business and personal insurance disputes. We pursue compensation for any financial losses caused by bad faith, and we will seek punitive damages when it is necessary.
“I was hit by a driver who ran a red light in Salem, Oregon while I was pregnant and with my 2 year old son in the car, which was completely totaled. The insurance company figured out early I had real damage done and tried to get us to settle. We contacted Marc confused and scared all my medical bills would not be covered if we didn’t handle the insurance company correctly. He explained the entire process to us and re-assured us that they would cover every bit of our medical expenses that the law requires, and boy did he fight to get us that. The Insurance Company tried multiple times to get us to take a fraction of the policy limits even with doctors explaining I would have to undergo multiple operations. Marc never once gave in or made us feel like we should settle for less. The insurance company tried stalling and different tactics but Marc called them on it every time. In the end he got us exactly what he promised and we can’t thank him enough. We have never had any experience with insurance companies or lawyers before and I can’t imagine making it through that process without Marc and Karen.”
Oregon Bad Faith Insurance Claims Lawyer
Every denied claim is not necessarily insurance bad faith, but we can evaluate your case thoroughly to consider all your options and advise you on the best course of action for your full and fair recovery. Oregon law imposes general obligations on insurers. If insurers violate laws or perform any of the following unfair claim settlement practices, we can collect attorney’s fees and other damages:
- Delaying payment of claim, stonewalling
- Failing to acknowledge and act promptly on claims communications
- Failing to investigate claims reasonable and promptly
- Delaying investigation or payment of claims by requiring a claimant to the claimant’s physician to submit a preliminary claim report, and then requiring subsequent loss forms when both require essentially the same information
- Failing to pay or deny payment of claim within a reasonable time
- Refusing to defend insured if sued
- Refusing reasonable settlement offers
- Denying coverage outright without proper explanation of the basis relied on in the insurance policy
- Not attempting, in good faith, to settle claims promptly in which liability has become reasonably clear
- Compelling claimants to initiate litigation to recover compensation by offering substantially less than amounts ultimately recovered in actions brought by claimants
- Attempting to settle claims on the basis of an application altered without notice or consent of the applicant
Contact a Portland Insurance Bad Faith Attorney
All of our cases are in the end against the insurance company for the negligent party, and it’s the insurance company, not the company or person, that pays the settlement or verdict. When an insurance company puts your well-being and the financial well-being of your family in jeopardy, when they wrongfully refuse to pay your claim, or when they play games because they want to settle cheap and put you at risk of being sued, contact an experienced bad faith insurance lawyer. Call The Johnston Law Firm at 503-546-3167, toll free at 888-342-7252 or fill out our free confidential case evaluation form on the bottom. We offer a free initial consultation and flexible hours by appointment.
The Johnston Law Firm, LLC proudly represents clients in all cities and counties in Oregon: Portland, Gresham, Milwaukie, Lake Oswego, Tigard, Beaverton, Hillsboro, Multnomah, Washington, Clackamas.
- Biden Nixes ‘Surprise’ Medical Billing Practices, a Common Problem In Portland Personal Injury Claims - July 28, 2021
- Four Common Problems That Make Box Truck Accidents More Likely To Happen - July 21, 2021
- New Study Shows Lower-Income Neighborhoods Most At Risk For Pedestrian Accident Deaths - July 14, 2021