As a parent, providing for and protecting your children is a top priority. Unfortunately, despite your efforts, accidents can happen. Serious and potentially devastating children’s injuries can occur due to a variety of causes, impacting them and your family for years after. Our Portland personal injuries explain some of the most common types of children’s injuries, the leading causes, and how they frequently happen.
Common Causes Of Children’s Injuries In Portland
Unintentional injuries are one of the leading causes of death and disability among children. According to the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), they claim the lives of nearly 20 children each day while leaving hundreds of others suffering serious harm. Among the most common causes include:
- Car accidents, in which they are a passenger in a vehicle;
- Bike or pedestrian accidents, which can happen while going to or from school and while playing close to home;
- Drowning, which can occur on vacation or due to unfenced pools in your neighborhood;
- Fires and exposure to hot objects, which is especially common in summer and around holidays;
- Falls, which can happen at home, at parks, or in any public place and are one of the leading causes of children’s injuries;
- Sports and recreational accidents, due to a lack of training or a lack of proper safety precautions.
Dangerous and defective products can also leave children suffering serious personal injuries. The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) receives thousands of reports each year from concerned parents and routinely issues recalls for items such as children’s furniture, clothing, and toys.
Common Types of Children’s Injuries
Even seemingly minor accidents can result in serious and potentially life threatening children’s injuries. Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) are among the most common and potentially severe. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) warns any type of bump, blow, or jolt to the head can cause damage that impacts your children for decades after. TBI can also be caused by a lack of oxygen, such as with non-fatal drownings. Other common types of children’s injuries include:
- Broken bones, resulting in permanent disabilities if not set properly;
- Burns, resulting in scarring and permanent disfigurement
- Crushing injuries, causing damage to internal organs;
- Deep cuts and lacerations, causing loss of limbs or other body parts;
- Injuries to the spinal cord or column, resulting in potentially permanent paralysis.
Our Portland Personal Injury Attorneys Hold Those At Fault Accountable
While generally referred to as ‘accidents’, children’s injuries often occur due to the negligence of other people involved. Motorists, neighbors or other property owners, sports and recreational staff members, and product manufacturers are all among those who may be at fault. At the Johnston Law Firm P.C., we help you hold them accountable in a claim.
Our goal is to help you and your family get the compensation you need to cover medical and rehabilitative costs, lost wages, and other expenses. If your child is injured, give us a call at (503) 546-3167 or contact our Portland personal injury attorneys online to request a consultation today.