HILLSBORO PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT LAWYERStart your free case review
We Represent Pedestrian
Injury Victims in Hillsboro
& Throughout Oregon.
Hillsboro Bicycle & Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrians have many rights when they are on the road but sadly, motorists do not always observe them and cause car accidents. Pedestrians are often vulnerable to becoming involved in motor vehicle accidents, whether they are crossing the road in a crosswalk or even just walking down a sidewalk. Without any protection at all, pedestrians will always sustain the worst injuries when they are involved in a collision with a vehicle. In the majority of cases, it is the driver that hits someone on foot who is at fault for the crash.
Call 503-546-3167 for
a FREE case review.
If you or someone you love has been hit by a negligent driver, you have many options for obtaining monetary compensation for the car accident. Pedestrian accident claims or wrongful death claims are never easy to file. Our experienced car accident lawyer can help you claim the full settlement you deserve, even in a wrongful death claim.
A pedestrian can become hurt in a number of ways while they are on the road. Some of the most common types of pedestrian accidents are as follows:
- Crosswalk Car Accidents: In Hillsboro, there are crosswalks at most major intersections. Crosswalks can be either marked or unmarked but in either case, pedestrians have many rights when using them. The crosswalk laws in Oregon state that all motorists must stop and yield to any pedestrian within a crosswalk. Other motorists are also prohibited from overtaking, or passing, another vehicle that is stopped at a crosswalk.
- Parking lot collisions: Of all the places a pedestrian could be struck by a vehicle, parking lots are some of the most common. Parking lots are very busy places, whether they are at a mall, a small local business, or a big grocery store. There are many vehicles moving in many directions, and many pedestrians are around as they make their way to and from their own vehicles. Negligent drivers may fail to check behind them when backing up, resulting in a back-over accident. These collisions can be fatal for small children.
- Turning accidents: Just as parking lots are busy places, so too are intersections. Again, multiple vehicles are moving in different directions and pedestrians are often trying to cross the street as they do. Drivers who do not pay attention and look to ensure the way is clear, or that drive too fast through the intersection, can cause car crashes while turning. Check with one of our car accident lawyers to see if your case falls under this type of accident.
- Loss of control: Speeding, reckless driving, driving under the influence, and even defective vehicle parts can all cause a driver to lose control of their car. When that happens, it has devastating impacts for pedestrians who are in the vicinity of the vehicle and cause some catastrophic injuries.
- Sideswipe accidents: Pedestrians should always use sidewalks when one is available. In areas that do not have sidewalks, pedestrians should walk as far over to the shoulder as possible, and walk in the direction facing oncoming traffic. Unfortunately, these measures are not always enough and when a motorist fails to see a pedestrian at the side of the road, it can result in a sideswipe accident.
When determining the value of your claim, it is important to work with a Hillsboro car accident attorney who can identify all of your losses and make sure they are included within your claim. For example, a lawyer will consider your current losses, as well as any you will incur in the future, which are important damages many pedestrian accident victims overlook.
Don’t miss out on these common personal injury mistakes.
Damages Available After
a Pedestrian Accident in Hillsboro
If you were involved in a pedestrian accident and sustained injury, you can claim a number of damages to recover your losses. The most common forms of compensation claimed in pedestrian accident cases are as follows:
- Medical expenses: Many people think that the compensation sought in personal injury claims is inflated by victims. Truthfully, it is medical expenses that form the bulk of personal injury claims, including those involving pedestrian accidents. Pedestrians will sustain the most serious of injuries during a crash and the treatment required is extremely costly.
Lost income: A pedestrian accident will likely leave you unable to return to work, at least in the days following the crash. You can claim your lost wages as well as any lost bonuses, benefits, vacation pay, and sick pay.
- Loss of earning capacity: The injuries sustained during a pedestrian accident are often debilitating. You may not be able to return to the same line of work you previously performed, and may have no other option but to earn a lower income. In these cases, you can claim your loss of earning capacity to recover the future compensation you lost.
- Pain and suffering: Medical expenses and lost income are types of economic damages that have concrete dollar values. Along with these types of damages, you can also claim your non-economic losses, which do not have a quantifiable value. Pain and suffering is one of the most common types of non-economic damages in pedestrian accident claims.
- Rehabilitation costs: You will need initial treatment for your injuries but once you have completed it, you may need additional rehabilitation. This can take months and sometimes, even years before rehabilitation is complete. Rehabilitation is not only lengthy, but it is also extremely costly and you deserve compensation for your loss.
- Long term care and disability costs: Pedestrian accidents are typically very serious, and those hurt may never heal completely. When injured individuals suffer permanent disability, they often require long-term care, and these costs can quickly climb into hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Contact Us for a FREE Consultation
- Portland Personal Injury
- Boating Accident
- Brain Injuries
- Burn Injuries
- Catastrophic Injuries
- Child Injuries
- Civil Rights
- Defective Product
- Dog Bite Injuries
- Elder Abuse
- Explosion & Fire Accidents
- Inadequate Security
- Neck Injury
- Sexual Assault
- Sports Injury
- Swimming Pool Accident
- Tenant Injury
- Victims of Crime
- Work Site & Industrial Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Airplane Accident
- Bicycle Accident
- Portland Bus Accident Attorney
- Portland Car Accident Attorney
- Portland Commercial Vehicles Accidents
- Crashes Involving Uber, Lyft & Taxi Drivers
- Distracted Driver Accidents
- Dram Shop Claims
- Drugged Driving
- Drunk Driving
- Accidents Involving Government Vehicles
- Hit and Run
- Motorcycle Accident
- Pedestrian Injury
- Truck Accident
- Snow & Ice Accidents
- Train Accident
- Health Insurance Denials
- Portland Trials and Civil Litigation
- Medical, Device, & Drug
– Michelle E.
Mr. Johnston and his firm were incredibly thorough in getting us a fair settlement from our insurance company with little to no pressure. We really appreciated having someone who truly cared about us every step of the way. I would highly recommend the Johnston Law Firm to anyone in need of personal injury representation.
Our Pedestrian Injury Lawyer in Hillsboro Can Help with Your Case
Pedestrians often think that because motorists are presumed to be at fault in a crash, filing a claim is relatively easy and straightforward. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Insurance companies and liable parties aggressively fight back against these claims and try to deny victims the compensation they deserve. At Johnston Law Firm, our Hillsboro pedestrian injury lawyer knows how to hold these parties liable for paying the full damages you are entitled to. Call us now at 503-713-6839 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation and to learn more about your legal options.
Contact Us for a FREE Consultation
If you have been seriously injured at no fault of your own, please contact us using the form.
CALL 503-546-3167 NOW