LAKE OSWEGO TRUCK ACCIDENT LAWYERStart your free case review
We Help Truck Accident Victims
in Lake Oswego Get Justice and Compensation
At The Johnston Law Firm, LLC, our Lake Oswego, Oregon truck accident attorney represents injured victims with care, passion, integrity, and the highest level of personalized representation. We know how to hold large trucking companies, their truck drivers, and their commercial insurance carriers accountable. If you or your loved one was injured in a semi-truck accident, we are ready to help.
For a free, no-obligation consultation with a top semi truck accidents lawyer, please contact us today.
truck accident cases
What to Do After a
Commercial Trucking Accident
Being involved in a car accident that involves a commercial truck in Lake Oswego can be a traumatic experience. Knowing what to do in such situations can help you protect your legal rights and obtain the compensation you deserve. Here are the steps to take after a crash with a semi:
- Stop Your Car, Exchange Information, and Report the Crash: Pursuant to Oregon law, you should stop your vehicle, exchange information with other parties, and report your truck accident to law enforcement. Injury crashes must be reported. There will be a crash report of all car accidents. This truck accident evidence can help in you with your case.
- Seek Immediate Medical Care for Injuries (Emergencies Come First): Your health and safety should be your top priority after trucking accidents. Seek immediate medical care if you or anyone else involved in the accident has sustained injuries. In an emergency, call 911 for medical attention. Medical records are required to bring a successful legal claim.
- Do Not Agree to Give a Record Statement to an Insurance Company: You should expect to hear from the trucking company—or most likely, its insurer—relatively shortly after a crash. Do not agree to give a recorded statement at that time. They are looking for information that they can use against you during the truck accident lawsuit. Take time to recover from your injuries and don’t give any statement.
- Get Help from a Top Lake Oswego Truck Accident Attorney: Going it alone after a commercial truck accident is generally not the correct approach. Consult with a top Lake Oswego, OR tractor-trailer accident attorney as soon as possible after a collision. Your lawyer will ensure that your rights and your interests are properly protected.
The Most Common
Truck Accident Injuries
According to data from the Oregon Department of Transportation, there were 1,408 people injured in commercial truck accidents in the state in 2019. Tragically, 55 people were killed in these types of crashes. A fully loaded truck is massive. It dwarfs the size of a passenger car, let alone a motorcycle, bicycle, or pedestrian. Large truck accidents are more likely to cause serious injuries. Some of the most common truck accident injuries include:
- Whiplash: This is a neck injury that is caused by a sudden back-and-forth motion of the head, which can happen during a truck accident.
- Broken Bones: The force of a truck accident can cause fractures in the arms, legs, ribs, and other parts of the body.
- Traumatic Brain Injury: A truck accident can cause head injuries that range from concussions to more severe traumatic brain injuries.
- Spinal Cord Damage: These injuries can result in partial or complete paralysis, depending on the severity of the injury.
- Internal Organ Damage: The force of a truck accident can cause internal bleeding, damage to organs such as the liver or kidneys, and other serious injuries.
Don’t miss out on these common personal injury mistakes.
Commercial Truck Accidents
Oregon law and federal law both impose regulations on commercial trucking. Along with other things, these rules aim to improve safety and reduce accidents. For any person involved in a semi-truck accident in Lake Oswego, it is crucial to understand how state laws impact the claims process. Here are key points to be aware of:
- Legal Liability for a Truck Accident is Based On Fault: In Oregon, fault plays a crucial role in determining legal liability in commercial truck accidents. For example, if the crash was caused by the trucker’s negligence, the trucking company may be responsible for the damages. All truck accidents should be thoroughly investigated by a Lake Oswego attorney.
- Multiple Parties May Share Liability (Comparative Negligence): Under Oregon law (ORS § 31.600), truck accident claims are handled based on comparative negligence. Multiple parties may share liability in a truck accident. For example, if the truck driver was partially responsible for the accident, but the injured party was also partially responsible, the damages may be split between the parties based on their percentage of fault.
- A Two-Year Deadline to File a Personal Injury Claim: In Oregon, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is two years from the date of the accident (ORS §12.110). What will happen if you wait too long to bring a truck accident injury claim in Lake Oswego? You may not be able to recover compensation at all. Be proactive.
We Help Truck Accident
Victims in Lake Oswego Maximize their Recovery
Hurt in a commercial truck accident in Lake Oswego? Oregon law allows you to seek financial compensation for economic and non-economic damages from the at-fault trucking company. Sadly, big truck companies and their insurance providers invariably try to resolve cases for less.
At The Johnston Law Firm, LLC, our Lake Oswego truck accident lawyers go above and beyond to ensure that our clients get the maximum compensation. You may be able to recover money damages for:
- Automobile repairs or replacement;
- Emergency medical treatment;
- Hospital bills and other health care costs;
- Physical therapy and psychological counseling;
- Lost wages and reduced earning potential;
- Pain & suffering and mental anguish;
- Permanent disability or disfigurement; and
- Wrongful death of a family member.
Truck Accidents in Lake Oswego:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The statute of limitations for filing a commercial truck accident claim in Oregon is two years from the date of the accident. As there are only very narrow exceptions to the state’s statute of limitations, do not wait to get started. You do not want to fall behind in the claims process. Consult with an experienced Lake Oswego truck accident lawyer right away after a collision.
Fatigued driving is dangerous driving. It remains an all-too-common cause of trucking accidents in Oregon. Of course, proving that a truck driver was fatigued at the time of an accident can be challenging. Sadly, truckers are not always forthcoming about their hours of service. Still, data from the truck’s “black box” and driver logs can help establish whether the driver was driving for longer than legally allowed. Other evidence, from witness statements to police reports, may be relevant.
It is possible. Though, that is not the usual course of events in this case. Indeed, only a relatively small share of personal injury claims—including truck accident claims—reach litigation. A settlement is a far more common outcome. Still, you need to be prepared for a trial. Not only is there a chance that your case could be one of the few that gets to court, but the big insurance companies will only agree to a fair settlement if they know that you can hold them liable through litigation.
How Lake Oswego Commercial
Truck Accident Lawyer Marc A. JohnstonCan Help
Commercial truck accident claims are among the most complex types of personal injury cases. At The Johnston Law Firm, LLC, we have what it takes to ensure that the rights and interests of victims and families are protected. Among other things, our Lake Oswego truck accident attorneys will:
- Listen to your story and answer questions about the personal injury claims process;
- Carefully investigate the truck accident, securing and organizing evidence;
- Handle insurance claims paperwork and settlement negotiations; and
- Devise a comprehensive legal strategy focused on maximizing your recovery.
No matter your situation, we are devoted to delivering high-quality, professional legal guidance and support that you can trust. With a history of testimonials from former clients and proven case results, injured victims trust our Lake Oswego, OR truck accident attorneys.
We Handle Large Truck
Accident Claims in Oregon On a Contingency Fee Basis
The last thing you need after a serious accident is another bill. The good news is that you and your family do not have to bear the burden alone. At The Johnston Law Firm, LLC, our firm handles large truck accident claims in Lake Oswego on a contingency fee basis. You will not pay anything unless we win your case.
There are no upfront costs for our hourly bills. Ready to get started on your case? Our attorneys are ready to comprehensively review your case for free and with no obligation.
Contact Us for a FREE Consultation
– Michelle E.
Mr. Johnston and his firm were incredibly thorough in getting us a fair settlement from our insurance company with little to no pressure. We really appreciated having someone who truly cared about us every step of the way. I would highly recommend the Johnston Law Firm to anyone in need of personal injury representation.
Contact Our Lake Oswego Truck Accident Attorney for a Free Case Review
At The Johnston Law Firm, LLC, our Lake Oswego tractor-trailer accident lawyers have the professional expertise and proven record of success that you can trust in a complex case. Reach out to us by phone or contact us online for a free, fully confidential consultation. We represent truck accident victims in Lake Oswego and throughout the greater Portland metro area.
Contact Us for a FREE Consultation
If you have been seriously injured at no fault of your own, please contact us using the form.
CALL 503-546-3167 NOW