Start your free case review
Get Help From a Top Tigard Truck Accident Attorney
At The Johnston Law Firm, LLC, our Tigard tractor-trailer accident lawyers are diligent, experienced, and results-focused advocates for victims and families. Were you or a family member hurt in a semi-truck crash? We are more than ready to help you fight for justice and financial compensation.
To set up your no-cost, no-obligation appointment with a top Oregon truck accident attorney, please do not hesitate to contact us today.
truck accident cases
Know the Steps to Take After a Tractor Trailer Accident in Tigard, Oregon
When a large tractor-trailer accident happens in Tigard, the scene can be chaotic. Unfortunately, too many innocent people make avoidable mistakes following an accident that undermines their ability to get justice, accountability, and compensation. Here are four steps that you should take:
- Stop Your Vehicle, Exchange Information, and Notify Police: The first thing to do is to stop the car and exchange information with the truck driver. Obtain their name, their employer’s details, general contact information, driver’s license number, and insurance coverage. Be sure to report the crash to the police. A trucking accident can be reported to the Tigard Police Department, the Washington County Sheriff’s Office, or another agency.
- Get Immediate Medical Care for a Licensed Physician: The top priority after a truck accident is health and safety. If anyone involved in the accident has sustained injuries, immediate medical care should be sought. Many truck accidents result in non-emergency injuries that still require professional medical care from a doctor. Note: You cannot bring a personal injury claim for a truck accident in Oregon without seeing a doctor.
- Beware of the Truck Company and the Insurance Company: Neither the truck company nor its insurance company is on your side. In the aftermath of a crash, these businesses are looking out for their bottom line—not what is best for you and your loved ones. Do not agree to submit a recorded statement with an insurance adjuster without legal advice.
- Seek Professional Guidance from a Tigard Attorney: You do not have to take on the personal injury claims process alone. Navigating the process is hard—especially so in commercial truck accident claims. The single best step that you can take to protect yourself and your rights is to consult with a top-rated Tigard, OR truck accident lawyer as soon as possible after a crash.
Truck Crashes are Disproportionately Likely to Cause Severe Injuries
Car accidents caused by a semi-truck remain a serious safety concern. According to comprehensive state data from the Oregon Department of Transportation, there were 1,408 truck accident injuries and 55 truck accident fatalities reported in the state in 2019. Unfortunately, when tractor-trailer accidents happen, they are far more likely to cause severe, potentially life-changing injuries than other accidents. Some reasons why truck crashes are disproportionately likely to cause severe injuries:
- Size and Weight: Trucks are much larger and heavier than passenger cars, which means they have more momentum and force in a collision.
- Heavy and/or Hazardous Cargo: Trucks often carry heavy or hazardous cargo, which can increase the risk of injury in an accident.
- Higher Speeds: Because trucks are often traveling long distances on highways, they are more likely to be traveling at high speeds when an accident occurs.
- Driver Fatigue: Truck drivers are often under pressure to meet tight deadlines, which can lead to fatigue and impaired driving.
- Limited Maneuverability: Due to their size and weight, trucks are less maneuverable than smaller vehicles, making it harder for drivers to avoid accidents.
What to Know About Truck Accident Liability in Oregon
While federal commercial trucking regulations could affect your claim, the process itself is largely governed by state law. Following a semi-truck accident in Tigard, you must understand how liability works in Oregon. Here are three key points to know:
- Fault Determines Liability for a Truck Accident (Investigation is Essential): Oregon is a fault-based motor vehicle accident jurisdiction, including for commercial truck accidents. The party deemed to be at fault for a crash—as determined by negligence—can be held liable for the damages. A comprehensive investigation should always be conducted.
- Recovery May Be Affected By Comparative Negligence: Oregon is a comparative negligence state (ORS § 31.600). The standard could have a big impact on your claim. Under the law, a truck accident victim can recover compensation even if they are partially responsible for their accident. However, their recovery will be reduced by the same percentage as their “fault” for the crash.
The Statute of Limitations is Two Years: Under Oregon law (ORS §12.110), the statute of limitations for personal injury claims, including semi-truck accidents, is two years from the date of the accident. If the deadline passes, you may not be able to bring a claim at all. Consult with a Tigard, OR truck accident lawyer right away after a serious wreck.
Don’t miss out on these common personal injury mistakes.
You Deserve Full and Fair Financial Compensation After a Crash
Hurt in a crash in Tigard? Oregon law allows injured victims to recover financial compensation for the full extent of their damages, including for out-of-pocket losses and intangible damages. Sadly, the trucking companies and their commercial insurance providers fight hard to settle their liability for less.
Our Tigard truck accident attorneys fight hard to maximize financial compensation for our clients. You may be eligible to recover money damages for the following types of losses:
- Vehicle repairs or replacement (property damage);
- Emergency room treatment;
- Medical bills and other health care costs;
- Physical therapy and mental health support;
- Lost wages and loss of earning power;
- Pain and suffering and emotional distress;
- Disability or disfigurement; and
- Wrongful death damages.
If you are in need of an amazing personal injury attorney or even good recommendations for a criminal defense lawyer, call out car accident team today! We are ready to help you on your path to full recovery!
Truck Accidents in Tigard: Frequently
Asked Questions (FAQs)
Semi-truck accidents in Oregon happen for a wide variety of reasons. The core commonality is that, with few exceptions, these crises generally could have been stopped with the proper safety precautions. Some of the most common causes of commercial truck accidents in Oregon include driver fatigue, speeding, distracted driving, improper maintenance, and improper loading. Of course, truck accidents are often caused by a combination of factors.
Yes, in Oregon, you can still file a claim for compensation if you were partially at fault for a commercial truck accident. Oregon follows a comparative negligence rule. Each party to a motor vehicle collision—including a tractor-trailer accident—will be deemed legally liable for their proportionate share of the crash. Even if you are partially at fault, you can still bring a claim. Your Tigard, OR truck accident attorney will protect your rights.
Yes—or at least it is a possible course of action in some cases. More specifically, if the trucking accident happened or was made worse because of a defect in the truck, the manufacturer may be held liable for damages. These are immensely complex legal cases. You need an Oregon truck accident lawyer who has experience handling product liability claims on your side.
How Tigard Commercial Truck Accident Lawyer Marc A. Johnston Can Help
Following a large truck crash, it is normal to feel stressed out, overwhelmed, and unsure of what to do next. At The Johnston Law Firm, LLC, we are here to protect your rights and simplify the legal claims process. When you contact our personal injury team, you will be able to work with a Tigard trucking accident attorney who can:
- Hear your story, answer legal questions, and prepare yourself for the next steps;
- Carefully investigate your truck accident in Tigard, gathering evidence;
- Handle settlement negotiations with the truck company and its insurance carrier; and
- Devise a personalized legal strategy focused on getting justice and full compensation.
As a trial-tested law firm with extensive experience handling truck accident claims, we understand that one-size-fits-all solutions are not good enough. Personalized legal guidance and support are a must in these cases. We encourage you to review our client testimonials and our case results and to contact us directly with any specific questions or concerns about your case.
You Can Always Afford a Top Tigard, OR Tractor Trailer Accident Lawyer
Hurt in a crash in Tigard? It is normal to be worried about the potential cost of legal representation. The good news is that you can always afford a top Tigard tractor-trailer accident lawyer. We work on a contingency fee basis. How does it work?
We only get paid if you get paid. There are never upfront costs or out-of-pocket fees. Our Oregon truck accident lawyer will review your case for free.
Contact Us for a FREE Consultation
– Michelle E.
Mr. Johnston and his firm were incredibly thorough in getting us a fair settlement from our insurance company with little to no pressure. We really appreciated having someone who truly cared about us every step of the way. I would highly recommend the Johnston Law Firm to anyone in need of personal injury representation.
At The Johnston Law Firm, LLC, our truck accident lawyers are standing by, ready to protect your legal rights and financial interests every step of the way.
Contact us right away for a free, no-obligation case assessment. We handle semi-truck accident claims in Tigard, Washington County, and throughout the Greater Portland metropolitan area.
Contact Us for a FREE Consultation
If you have been seriously injured at no fault of your own, please contact us using the form.
CALL 503-546-3167 NOW