Oregon City Truck Accident LawyerStart your free case review
We FIght Tirelessly to
Protect the Rights of Injured Victims
At The Johnston Law Firm, LLC, our Oregon City trucking accident attorneys have the professional expertise and proven record of success to help injured victims get justice after a serious crash. We hold truck companies and insurance companies accountable. If you or your family member was hurt in a semi-truck collision, professional representation is just a phone call away.
For a free, fully private appointment with a top Oregon City truck accident attorney, please contact us today.
truck accident cases
What to Do After a Semi-Truck
Accident in Oregon City
A semi-truck accident can be a frightening and traumatic experience. For good reasons; large commercial trucks can weigh as much as 40 times a standard passenger vehicle. They are extraordinarily dangerous when proper safety precautions are not taken.
The knowledge of the steps to take after a truck accident in Oregon City can make a big difference. Here are the steps to take:
- Stop Your Car, Exchange Details, and Report the Truck Accident: Oregon state law requires all parties to a crash to stop their vehicle and exchange information with others involved. Commercial truck accidents are no exceptions. If there were any injuries or major property damage, the crash should be reported to the Oregon City Police Department or another law enforcement agency.
- Be Sure that You Get the Proper Medical Care: Medical needs should always take priority. To start, this means that severe injuries require emergency care. An emergency always comes before anything else. All other injuries should still be evaluated and treated by a doctor. What happens if you do not see a doctor? Not only will it make a physical recovery more challenging, but you also will not be able to recover compensation through a legal claim.
- Avoid Giving a Statement to the Truck Company’s Insurer: Do not agree to give a recorded statement to the truck company’s insurer or make any admissions of fault. Insurance adjusters will try to use your words against you if they believe that they can devalue or deny your claim. It is best to avoid making any statements until you speak with an experienced Oregon City truck accident lawyer.
- Work Through an Oregon City Truck Accident Lawyer: The best way to approach the truck accident claims process is to work through an Oregon City tractor-trailer accident injury attorney each step of the way. The sooner you have an experienced legal advocate in your corner, the better your chances for justice and full financial compensation.
An Overview of the
Most Typical Types of Truck Accidents in Oregon City, OR
The Oregon Department of Transportation reports that 1,408 people were hurt and 55 were killed in semi-truck accidents in the state in 2019. As large commercial trucks traverse virtually every corner of our state, communities large and small are affected. Oregon City, OR sees its fair share of truck accidents on its highways and roads. Here are some of the most typical types of truck accidents that occur in the area:
- Rear-End Collisions: When a truck collides with the back of another vehicle due to following too closely or not stopping in time.
- Jackknife Accidents: When the trailer of a truck swings out to the side, often causing the truck to spin out of control.
- Rollover Accidents: When a truck tips over onto its side or roof, often due to taking a turn too quickly or uneven weight distribution.
- Blind Spot Accidents: When a truck driver fails to see a smaller vehicle in their blind spot and collides with it while changing lanes.
- Lost Load Accidents: When cargo falls off a truck and creates a hazard on the road.
- Intersection Accidents: When a truck collides with another vehicle at an intersection, often due to running a red light or stop sign.
Don’t miss out on these common personal injury mistakes.
Laws and Truck Accident Claims in Oregon
There are federal and state safety regulations in place to govern commercial trucking safety. That being said, the claims process is largely governed by Oregon state law. Here are there things to know if you were hurt in a semi-truck collision in Oregon City:
- Oregon is an At-Fault Truck Accident State: Liability is based on fault. Every crash should be thoroughly investigated by an experienced Oregon City truck accident attorney. Only when you can prove fault will you be able to maximize your recovery.
- Liability is Apportioned Based On Comparative Negligence: Oregon uses a comparative negligence standard (ORS § 31.600). You can still seek compensation if you were partially at fault for a truck accident, but your financial compensation may be reduced.
- A Two-Year Statute of Limitations: You must bring a claim before the statute of limitations expires. Under Oregon law (ORS §12.110), a large truck accident lawsuit must be filed within two years of the wreck.
Settlement or Verdict After a Tractor Trailer Crash
How much compensation can you recover for a truck accident in Oregon City? You have the right to pursue financial relief for out-of-pocket costs and intangible damages. At The Johnston Law Firm, LLC, our Oregon City truck accident lawyers fight tirelessly to get our clients the maximum settlement or verdict.
Along with other types of damages, financial recovery may include:
- Property loss (vehicle repairs/replacement);
- Ambulance costs and emergency room treatment;
- Hospital bills and other medical costs;
- Lost wages and reduced future earning power;
- Pain and suffering & mental distress;
- Long-term disability and/or permanent disfigurement; and
- Wrongful death of a family member.
Truck Accidents in Oregon City:
Frequently Asked Questions
An in-depth investigation will be conducted to figure out exactly how and why the truck accident occurred. In Oregon, the fault is based on negligence. Broadly explained, negligence is the failure to take due care. It comes in many different forms in truck accident claims—from a truck driver speeding to a trucking company failing to ensure that the truck is properly inspected and roadworthy. Whoever caused a truck accident through negligence can be held legally liable for the damages.
Many factors can contribute to commercial truck accidents in Oregon, including driver fatigue, distracted driving, speeding, and failure to properly maintain the truck. Of course, these crashes do not only happen because of truck drivers. Some tractor-trailer collisions are caused by things like improperly loaded cargo and failure to properly maintain the truck.
Yes. The majority of commercial truck accident claims that are brought in Oregon are eventually settled without litigation. That being said, you should never agree to take a lowball settlement offer from an insurance company. Make sure that you are getting full and fair value, including for future medical costs and non-economic losses. Our Oregon City truck accident lawyer can help to understand the value of your case and take action to get justice.
How Oregon City
Commercial Truck Accident Lawyer Marc A. JohnstonCan Help
Tractor-trailer accident injury claims are complicated. Taking on a truck company or a commercial insurer alone is not easy. The right legal representation can make all of the difference. At The Johnston Law Firm, LLC, we go the extra mile to protect the legal rights and financial interests of our clients.
Among other things, our Oregon City truck accident attorney can:
- Hear your story and answer questions about your truck accident case;
- Thoroughly investigate the truck accident, organizing relevant evidence;
- Handle legal paperwork and settlement negotiations with insurers; and
- Take swift, proactive steps to protect your rights every step of the way.
With commercial truck accident claims, a one-size-fits-all solution is not good enough. We put in the time, legal resources, and attention to detail to handle your case the right way. With a proven record of client reviews and personal injury case results, victims and families count on our Oregon City truck accident attorneys for top-quality legal representation.
You Can Always
Afford to Retain a Top Oregon City Truck Accident Lawyer
If you have been involved in a truck accident in Oregon City, you may feel overwhelmed and unsure of what steps to take next. However, one thing is sure: you can always afford to retain a top Oregon City truck accident lawyer. Our firm handles cases on a contingency basis—you never pay anything upfront or out of your pocket. Instead, we only get paid if we win your case. We are on the same side as our clients. Do not hesitate to reach out to us for a free consultation.
Contact Us for a FREE Consultation
– Michelle E.
Mr. Johnston and his firm were incredibly thorough in getting us a fair settlement from our insurance company with little to no pressure. We really appreciated having someone who truly cared about us every step of the way. I would highly recommend the Johnston Law Firm to anyone in need of personal injury representation.
Set Up a Free Consultation With Our Oregon City Truck Accident Attorney Today
At The Johnston Law Firm, LLC, our Oregon City truck accident lawyers go above and beyond to ensure that injured victims receive the highest level of professional legal guidance and support. You do not have to take on a truck company or an insurance company alone. Give us a phone call now or connect with us online for your free case review.
Our law firm represents truck accident victims in Oregon City, Clackamas County, and throughout the entirety of the Portland metro area.
Contact Us for a FREE Consultation
If you have been seriously injured at no fault of your own, please contact us using the form.
CALL 503-546-3167 NOW