Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Gresham
Truck accidents happen in a second and it is not always clear to those directly impacted how they occurred. Identifying the cause of the crash is one of the first steps in any truck accident claim, as that will determine which party to hold liable. The most common causes of truck accidents in Gresham are as follows:
- Distracted driving
- Impaired driving
- Improper checking of blind spots, or no-zones, on the commercial truck
- Improper truck maintenance
- Negligent truck inspections
- Negligent hiring or training procedures
- Defective trucks or truck parts
- Defective roadway conditions
The parties responsible for the above negligent actions or inactions include the truck driver, the trucking company, inspection and maintenance companies, manufacturers, and government entities.
Truck Accident Negotiations
Common Injuries Caused by Truck Accidents in Gresham
When fully loaded, a commercial truck can weigh up to 80,000 pounds. Passenger vehicles, on the other hand, weigh on average approximately 4,000 pounds. It is easy to see why the injuries are so severe when these two types of vehicles are involved in a crash. The most common injuries caused by truck accidents in Gresham include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Head injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Fractured and broken bones
- Deep lacerations that could result in scarring
- Accidental and surgical amputations
- Damage to internal organs
- Internal bleeding
These injuries impact accident victims for many days, months, and even years following a crash. If you have been hurt, you can file a claim to recover damages that will offset the financial burden these injuries impose. A Gresham truck accident attorney will help ensure you receive the fair settlement you deserve.
What Compensation is Available After a Truck Accident?
In Gresham, as throughout the rest of the state, you can claim many different types of damages, or financial compensation, after a truck accident. No one can determine exactly what your claim is worth without first fully reviewing the facts of the case. However, there are some types of damages that are more common than others.
The most common type of compensation awarded in truck accident claims is known as economic damages. These damages are meant to compensate you for any financial loss you suffered as a result of the crash. The most common types of economic damages include:
- Past and future medical bills and expenses
- Lost income, bonuses, benefits, vacation pay, and sick pay
- Loss of earning capacity, if you are unable to return to the same line of work in the future
- Rehabilitative services
- Assistive medical devices and equipment
- Property damage
- Other incidental costs, such as transportation to and from medical treatment
Due to the fact that the above damages have an actual dollar value, they are fairly easy to calculate. You will sustain other losses during a truck accident, though. You will suffer from extreme pain and other injuries that you deserve compensation for, but that are more difficult to calculate. These are known as non-economic damages and the most common of them pursued in truck accident claims include:
- Physical pain
- Emotional distress and mental suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of companionship
- Permanent scarring and disfigurement
Don’t miss out on these common personal injury mistakes.
Get the legal counsel you need to guide you through the process of filing an injury claim.
Free Confidential Case Evaluation
Contact us today at
to get a FREE, confidential case evaluation
We’re conveniently located in downtown Portland, and we offer flexible hours by appointment.