Common Workplace Injuries
Our workers compensation attorney has seen many different injuries throughout his time as a lawyer, but there are some specific injuries that we see most often. If you have suffered any of these types of injuries it is important to seek medical assistance first for documentation of the injury and medical costs. Here are those frequent injuries:
- Soft tissue injuries: According to the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS), soft tissue injuries are typically caused by a traumatic and sudden event, such as pulling or lifting heavy objects. When ligaments stretch and tear, it can result in a sprain, while stretched and torn tendons and muscles can cause a strain. It can take accident victims months, and sometimes even years, to fully recover from a soft tissue injury and the chances of re-injury are high.
- Repetitive motion injuries: Carpal tunnel syndrome, bursitis, and tendonitis are just a few of the most common repetitive motion workplace injuries. Repetitive motion injuries are typically caused by overuse of a joint or tendon when someone performs the same task repeatedly. Ticketing merchandise, typing, and repeatedly bending and stretching groups of muscles are some tasks that can cause this type of injury. Inflammatory medications, steroid injections, splints, and rest and non-use of the affected area are the most common forms of treatment.
- Knee injuries: Knee injuries are common because this area of the body is made up of complex joints. Ligament and tendon tears, also known as ACL and PCL injuries, dislocations, sprains, and fractures are all very common workplace knee injuries. The knee is a very important part of the body and when it is injured, it can greatly limit a person’s mobility and even result in a permanent disability. Medications, splints, and surgery are often the most recommended forms of treatment.
- Broken bones: Broken bones seem like relatively easy injuries to fix, but they can be some of the most complicated. When there is a stable fracture, or a partial break, a cast and a prolonged period of rest is the most recommended type of treatment. When a broken bone is more complex, such as when bones are shattered or otherwise do not easily fit together, metal plates and pins are often needed to repair the damage.
- Back and neck injuries: Fractured vertebrae, ruptured and slipped discs, and pulled muscles are some of the most common injuries to the back and neck. Neck and back injuries are typically caused by poor workplace ergonomics, improper bending, lifting, or stretching, and improper bending are just a few common causes of back and neck injuries.
- Head and brain injuries: Injuries involving the head and brain are a leading cause of disability and death in the United States, and many of these occur while a person is on the job. Blows, bumps, and jolts to the head can all result in a head and brain injury and these are often caused by falls, falling overhead fixtures or debris, or by being struck by objects.
- Spinal cord injuries: The spinal cord runs down the center of the back and is composed of nerves that carry messages from the brain to the other parts of the body. Even the smallest of injuries to any part of the spinal cord or column can result in permanent disabilities. When a spinal cord injury is severe, it can result in complete or partial paralysis.
No matter the work related accident, give us a call for a free consultation on how we will help you receive fair compensation for lost wages, medical treatment, and more!
Contact Our Workplace Accident Lawyer in Hillsboro for Help with Your Case
If you have been injured while at work, our Hillsboro workplace accident lawyer at Johnston Law Firm can provide the sound legal advice you need. We know the drastic impact a workplace injury will have on your entire life, and our seasoned attorney is dedicated to helping our clients make things right. We can put our passion and experience to work for you, too. Call us now at 503-713-6839 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.
The Johnston Law Firm, LLC proudly represents clients in all cities and counties in Oregon: Portland, Gresham, Milwaukie, Lake Oswego, Tigard, Beaverton, Hillsboro, Multnomah, Washington, Clackamas.
Don’t miss out on these common personal injury mistakes.
Free Confidential Case Evaluation
Contact us today at
We’re conveniently located in downtown Portland, and we offer flexible hours by appointment.