Recovering Compensation for Bicycle Accident Injuries in Hillsboro
As a cyclist, you have a number of legal options for claiming different forms of financial compensation after a bicycle accident. If you are also a driver and have an auto insurance policy, you can file a claim with your own insurer. Oregon is not a purely no-fault state, but motorists are still required to carry personal injury protection (PIP) benefits. If you have your own auto insurance policy, you can claim up to $15,000 in PIP benefits.
Sadly, insurers are not always concerned about the needs of bike accident victims, choosing instead to prioritize their own profits. If the insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement, or you do not have your own policy, a Hillsboro bike accident lawyer can help you file a lawsuit against the negligent, or careless, motorists that caused your injuries. A lawyer can also communicate with your own insurer on your behalf and hold them liable for paying a fair settlement.
PIP benefits will provide compensation for all of your reasonable medical expenses and a portion of your lost income, up to the policy limit. Through a personal injury claim against a negligent party, you can recover even more in compensation, including non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering.
What to Do After a Bike Accident in Hillsboro
Bicycle accidents are sudden and they happen in an instant. Naturally, cyclists experience trauma, stress, and confusion afterwards. Due to this, you may not know exactly what to do in the moments following a crash. However, the actions you take immediately after a collision are important, and they will directly impact any claim you file.
Just as there are certain things you should always do after a bike accident, there are also things you should avoid doing. Never apologize, even if just to say you are sorry the accident happened at all. Also do not speculate about what happened when talking to the police. Stick only to the facts and if you do not know a specific detail, simply say so instead of trying to guess. The insurance companies will use these actions against you to deny the fair settlement you justly deserve.
Our experienced bicycle accident lawyer explains what to do after a collision:
- See a doctor immediately, even if you do not think that you were injured in the collision. Seeing a doctor will not only ensure you get the medical treatment you need, but it will also document your injuries, which will strengthen your claim.
- Call 911 or the Hillsboro Police Department, preferably while you are still at the scene so they can come to your location and write and file a police report.
- Take detailed notes about the crash, including a description of the driver who hit you, their vehicle, and the date, place, and time the collision happened.
- Take photos and video footage of the entire scene of the crash, damage to the vehicles involved, including your bicycle, your injuries, and anything else that is relevant to the crash.
- Contact a Hillsboro bicycle accident lawyer who can advise you of your legal options for claiming financial compensation.
Don’t miss out on these common personal injury mistakes.
Free Confidential Case Evaluation
Contact us today at
We’re conveniently located in downtown Portland, and we offer flexible hours by appointment.