Tigard Pedestrian Accident LawyerStart your free case review
Get Help From a Top-Rated
Tigard, OR Pedestrian Accident Attorney
At The Johnston Law Firm, a personal injury law office, our Tigard pedestrian accident lawyers represent injured victims with outstanding diligence, determination, and a commitment to success. We are committed to holding negligent motorists and insurance companies accountable. If you or your family member was hurt in any type of pedestrian crash, professional help is within reach.
Give our car accident attorney a call now or contact us online for a free, no-obligation consultation with a top Oregon pedestrian accident lawyer.
About Johnston Law Firm
Know What to Do After a
Motor Vehicle Accidents Involving a Pedestrian in Tigard, Oregon
Pedestrian crashes can happen in any community, including in Tigard. As pedestrians are vulnerable, these accidents too often result in severe injuries. For victims, it is essential to take immediate action after the incident to protect their legal rights, start filing a personal injury case, and t0 receive proper medical attention.
Here are four things that you should always do after a pedestrian collision:
- Report Your Crash Law Enforcement: Contact the police immediately and report the incident. The police will create an official report that can be used as evidence in personal injury claims. Obtain a copy of the report for your records. A collision can be reported to the Tigard Police Department or the Washington County Sheriff’s Office.
- Get Professional Medical Attention Right Away: Emergency medical needs after a pedestrian crash in Tigard always take the top priority. Though, a non-emergency injury still needs to be evaluated. Seeing a licensed physician is not just vital for your physical health and mental well-being, it is a necessary step to bring a personal injury claim.
- Document the Pedestrian Accident: As Oregon is a fault-based pedestrian accident jurisdiction, it is imperative that any crash in Tigard is comprehensively investigated and well-documented. Along with other things, take photographs of the scene, the vehicle involved, your catastrophic injuries, and any other relevant details. Evidence matters.
- Consult With a Tigard Personal Injury Lawyers Before Any Insurer: A pedestrian lawyer serving Tigard, OR can provide legal advice, negotiate with insurance companies, and (if necessary) represent you in court if necessary. Do not trust the big insurance providers. Your Tigard personal injury attorney will protect your rights and your interests. Call us today for your free consultation!
What are the Most
Common Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
Pedestrian safety is a huge problem, both in Oregon and throughout the country more broadly. The Oregon Department of Transportation published data showing that there were 953 confirmed pedestrian injuries and 85 confirmed pedestrian fatalities in 2019. Communities large and small are impacted by pedestrian safety problems. In Tigard, there were 11 pedestrian crashes reported in 2020 alone. Most of them (9) happened at intersections. They all resulted in injuries to the pedestrians. The most common injuries sustained in pedestrian personal injury cases include:
- Road rash, cuts, and deep bruises;
- Sprains and strains;
- Torn ligaments;
- Soft tissue injuries, including whiplash
- Fractured/broken bones;
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs);
- Spinal cord damage;
- Internal organ injuries; and
- Leg or arm amputations.
Don’t miss out on these common personal injury mistakes.
Oregon Law: Pedestrian
Safety and Pedestrian Accidents
Oregon law prioritizes pedestrian safety by outlining specific rules for pedestrians and motorists alike. These laws are designed to protect pedestrians from being involved in car accidents while also ensuring that individuals involved in accidents are held accountable for their actions. That being said, a motorist in Tigard is not automatically responsible for a pedestrian crash. All pedestrians in Tigard should have a general understanding of how our state laws operate. Here are four things to know:
- Pedestrians Have the Right-of-Way (But Only at Crosswalks and Intersections): Oregon law stipulates that drivers must yield to pedestrians who are crossing the street at a marked or unmarked crosswalk. Intersections are presumed to be unmarked crosswalks in Oregon. If a pedestrian is in a crosswalk or intersection, drivers must stop and allow them to cross the street safely. Pedestrians should not cross against a crosswalk sign. Outside of crosswalks and intersections, pedestrians do not have the right of way in Tigard.
- Fault Determines Legal Responsibility for a Crash: In Oregon, the party at fault for a pedestrian accident is responsible for any damages that result from the accident. Damages can be significant, including medical bills, lost wages, and other costs associated with the injury. If a driver is at fault for an accident, they are responsible for paying for damages. While if the pedestrian is at fault, they may be held responsible for their own losses.
- Oregon is a Comparative Negligence State: In pedestrian accidents, the fault may be shared between the pedestrian and the driver. Under Oregon state law (ORS § 31.600), comparative negligence is used to determine how much each party is responsible for the accident. For example, imagine a pedestrian in Tigard darted into the road, outside of a crosswalk or intersection. They were struck by an oncoming motorist who was texting and driving. Both parties may share the blame for this crash.
- The Deadline for a Pedestrian Accident Claim is Two Years: Under Oregon law (ORS §12.110), a person who has been injured in a pedestrian accident has two years from the date of the accident to file a compensation claim. As only very narrow exceptions apply, injured pedestrians must consult with a Tigard attorney right away.
Injured Pedestrians in Tigard
Deserve Full and Fair Compensation
Getting full and fair financial compensation after a pedestrian crash is never easy. Injured victims need to take a proactive approach so that they are in the best position to secure financial compensation for economic and intangible losses. Our Tigard, OR pedestrian accident lawyers are standing by ready to help you get your maximum compensation.
Compensation may include:
- Emergency medical treatment;
- Hospital bills and other medical costs;
- Physical therapy and physical rehabilitation;
- Lost wages and diminished earning power;
- Pain and suffering & emotional distress;
- Permanent disability or disfigurement; and
- Wrongful death of a family member.
Pedestrian Accidents in Tigard, OR:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
Yes, you can still bring a pedestrian accident claim even if you were hit outside of a crosswalk. Pedestrians have the right-of-way on all public roads, whether there is a crosswalk present or not. However, in Oregon, the comparative negligence rule applies, meaning that if you were partially at fault for the accident, your compensation may be reduced based on any fault that is assigned. Make sure that your pedestrian crash is thoroughly investigated by a Tigard personal injury attorney.
Very carefully. The best practice: Hire a Tigard pedestrian accident attorney to deal with the insurance company. The insurance company’s primary goal is to protect its interests, which may include paying you as little as possible for your injuries. It could even include trying to deny your claim outright. Your lawyer will ensure that your rights are protected.
While you may be required to testify in a trial during your pedestrian injury claim in Oregon, it is relatively rare. Most pedestrian accident cases are settled outside of trial through negotiation or mediation. That being said, if your case does go to trial, you may be called upon to provide testimony. No matter what happens, your Tigard pedestrian accident attorney will protect your rights and your interests.
How Our Car Accident
Lawyer Marc A. Johnston Can Help
Pedestrian accident claims are hard. It is normal to have a lot of questions about your rights, your duties, and what comes next. At The Johnston Law Firm, LLC, we are here to make sure that you do not have to handle it alone. Among other things, our Tigard pedestrian accident attorney will:
- Conduct a comprehensive and confidential review of your pedestrian accident claim;
- Investigate the collision, securing the evidence you need to prove liability;
- Guide you through the legal claims process, handling paperwork and insurers; and
- Take whatever legal action is needed to maximize your financial recovery.
We put a strong emphasis on personalized legal representation. Injured victims are encouraged to review our client testimonials and history of results. You can trust our Tigard pedestrian accident injury lawyer to go above and beyond to protect your best interests.
You Can Always Afford Our
Top Tigard Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Hurt in a pedestrian crash in Tigard? You may be worried about the cost of hiring a high-rated lawyer. It is a normal and understandable concern. But the truth is, you can always afford our top Tigard pedestrian accident lawyers. We handle these injury claims on a contingency fee basis.
What does that mean? Our firm does not charge any legal fees unless we win your case. There are no upfront costs. We believe that everyone deserves access to quality legal representation. That’s why we have some of the best car accident lawyers in town! Our many awards and won cases prove that! Give us a call today!
Contact Us for a FREE Consultation
– Michelle E.
Mr. Johnston and his firm were incredibly thorough in getting us a fair settlement from our insurance company with little to no pressure. We really appreciated having someone who truly cared about us every step of the way. I would highly recommend the Johnston Law Firm to anyone in need of personal injury representation.
Call Our Tigard Pedestrian Accident Attorney for Immediate Help
At The Johnston Law Firm, LLC, our Tigard pedestrian accident lawyers fight tirelessly to help injured victims get justice. If you or someone close to you was hurt in a pedestrian crash, please do not hesitate to contact us today. Our firm advocates for the rights and interests of pedestrian car accident victims in Tigard, Washington County, and throughout the surrounding region in Oregon.
Contact Us for a FREE Consultation
If you have been seriously injured at no fault of your own, please contact us using the form.
CALL 503-546-3167 NOW