When accidents and personal injuries occur, you may be entitled to an insurance settlement for the losses and damages you suffered. Unfortunately, filing these claims, getting them approved, and making sure any money you receive is enough to adequately cover your costs can be a complicated and frustrating process.
Personal injury lawyer Marc Johnston has unique insights into these types of cases and how insurance companies operate. Prior to starting the Johnston Law Firm, he gained valuable experience representing personal injury victims and insurance companies in multi-million dollar lawsuits. His behind-the-scenes knowledge of how claims are processed and what it takes to negotiate a settlement helps to ensure our clients get the maximum amount of compensation they deserve.
Challenges in Dealing with Insurance Companies on Your Own
When accidents and injuries happen, people often assume the insurance companies will treat them fairly and cover the costs. The reality is these companies are in business to make a profit. Aside from increasing premiums, they do this is by limiting their staff and denying or downplaying claims.
Consumer Reports states that with automobile insurance policies alone, nearly 30 percent of victims report problems in getting their cases resolved. Issues include lengthy processing delays, having your claim transferred to multiple representatives, inadequate accident investigations, and disputes over what is and is not covered.
For overworked insurance representatives whose jobs depend on making the company money, settling your claim for the least amount of money is a top priority. Ways in which they accomplish this include:
- Blaming you for the accident;
- Claiming you were at least partially at fault, reducing the amount you are entitled to;
- Underestimating property repair costs;
- Neglecting to include lost wages in a settlement;
- Disputing your injuries and the amount of future medical care you are likely to require.
How a Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help
According to the latest statistics from the Oregon Division of Financial Regulation (DFR), nearly 3,000 complaints were registered against insurance companies in 2015. As a result of problems in filing and settling claims, residents in our state alone lose more than $2 million they are otherwise entitled to each year.
In protecting your rights to compensation when dealing with these companies, personal injury lawyer Marc Johnston uses his fierce negotiating skills while relying on the following types of evidence:
- Thorough accident investigations to determine the actual causes of your accident;
- Subpoenas for witnesses who may have been at the scene;
- Comparison rates to prove what your property damages are worth;
- Medical records and statements from your doctor regarding the extent of your injuries;
- Proof of lost income and potential future losses in earnings and benefits;
- Statements from family and friends regarding the impacts your injuries have had on other areas of your life.
You have just one chance to get the compensation you need to recover from your injuries through an insurance settlement. Call or contact the Johnston Law Firm online today to request a free consultation with our experienced Portland personal injury attorney to get the professional legal representation you need.