Start your free case review
Victims In Woodburn and Throughout All Of Oregon
About Johnston Law Firm
Accidents happen in the blink of an eye, but many victims will struggle with their injuries for years. The financial effects of even a minor accident are considerable. Income loss, medical expenses, and property damage are only some of the difficulties accident victims encounter.
If you’ve been hurt in an accident, contact Johnston Law Firm. You do not have to go through the process of requesting compensation alone. With the right Woodburn personal injury lawyer by your side, it is possible to request fair compensation from the person who injured you. Contact our firm today to find out more.
Each year, hundreds of people are hurt in accidents. Their injuries range from minor cuts and burns to major injuries that require immediate medical care. It isn’t unusual for someone with a serious injury to spend weeks in the hospital, possibly in the intensive care unit. Unfortunately, even the best health insurance rarely covers all these costs.
Most accidents are caused by a failure to use necessary care, which is called negligence. We see negligence cause many of the most common Woodburn accidents, including:
- Motor vehicle crashes: cars, trucks, and motorcycles can get into collisions which leave passengers and others in serious pain.
- Slip and falls: many hazards on the ground can send a person tumbling, including ice, snow, uneven floorboards, condensation, and spilled liquids;
- Premises liability accidents: certain hazards can hurt a visitor, such as exposed wires or faulty staircases;
- Medical malpractice: doctors and other medical professionals must follow the applicable standards of care, otherwise they are liable for patient injuries;
- Defective products: a product that is defectively designed or manufactured can fail to work properly, and products lacking necessary safety labels or instructions are also dangerous;
- Wrongful death: an accident victim can unfortunately perish following any accident.
Don’t miss out on these common personal injury mistakes.
of the Claims Process
After an accident, you are probably thinking: What now? This is where Johnston Law Firm can help. We have deep experience bringing claims for negligence. The process is a little different for everyone, but most cases involve the following:
- Investigation. We uncover the real source of your accident by inspecting any product that failed or visiting the scene of the accident and talking to witnesses.
- Demand for compensation. Once we identify the person responsible, we can submit a demand with the defendant or his insurer. We request compensation for financial losses like medical bills and lost income, as well as for nonfinancial losses like pain, emotional distress, and loss of consortium.
- Mediation. You might benefit from mediating a dispute before an impartial mediator. Any recommendation they make is voluntary, which means you can walk away if you are unhappy with it.
- Settlement. If you reach a settlement, you can put it in writing and sign it. To get a settlement, you typically must give up the ability to sue the defendant in the future for the accident.
- Complaint. When cases can’t settle, we will file a complaint in court for damages. Most cases can settle, but litigation is necessary in about 1 out of 10.
- Judgment. After a trial, a judge hands down a judgment for either side. Although the loser can appeal in some situations, a judgment usually ends the case.
How A Lawyer
will Help Your Case
Johnson Law Firm provides critical services to our clients at a difficult time in their lives. For example, we can handle all communication with insurance companies. We will fill out forms, answer questions, provide documentation, and negotiate. This frees you up to focus on your physical recovery.
We also perform an investigation to strengthen your claim. Many defendants deny liability and blame our clients instead. Without solid evidence, you cannot receive the compensation you deserve.
Our lawyers are surprisingly affordable. We decline any upfront legal fees but take a percentage of any award or judgment. This means you’ll never have to pay us unless we win your case.
for Our Clients
Many hurdles confront a Woodburn accident victim hoping to negotiate a settlement. One problem is comparative negligence. Under Oregon law, your own negligence might have contributed to the accident. Think of a motorist who is speeding when he gets hit by a driver running a red light. Both drivers are a little at fault. If you are more at fault than other parties, you can’t sue.
Many victims submit a claim to an insurer expecting it to be paid promptly. Instead, they receive a denial letter in the mail and nothing but silence over the phone. Johnston Law Firm knows how to respond when an insurer denies your claim. Even better, if you hire us after an accident, we can submit your claim in such a way that your odds improve dramatically.
Negotiation is a back-and-forth process during which it might seem like nothing is happening. But our Woodburn personal injury lawyers are always thinking of how to maximize the compensation for our clients.
Oregon gives accident victims only a window of opportunity to file a lawsuit for a personal injury. The length of time is determined by the relevant statute of limitations:
- Medical malpractice: You have two years from the medical mistake which injured you or the date you discovered your injury.
- Personal injury: You have two years from the date of the accident.
- Wrongful death: You have three years from the date of the accident which ultimately led to the death.
Two or three years might seem like an eternity. But many accident victims lost track of time while rehabbing their injuries and trying to get back to work. If you go past these deadlines, then you won’t have the right to sue the defendant.
Personal Injury: Frequently
Asked Questions (FAQS)
It is important to take certain steps following an accident or crash. For example, we recommend calling the police after a motor vehicle crash. They will investigate and create a police report.
Try to document your accident as well. Documentation can include talking to witnesses, taking pictures of any hazard, or preserving a defective product. Remember not to have your car or motorcycle fixed until your attorney can inspect it.
Contact Us for a FREE Consultation
– Michelle E.
Mr. Johnston and his firm were incredibly thorough in getting us a fair settlement from our insurance company with little to no pressure. We really appreciated having someone who truly cared about us every step of the way. I would highly recommend the Johnston Law Firm to anyone in need of personal injury representation.
Contact Us for a FREE Consultation
If you have been seriously injured at no fault of your own, please contact us using the form.
CALL 503-546-3167 NOW