Thanksgiving is the unofficial kick off for the holiday season and in Portland there are lots of preparations. Tree lighting, free concerts, holiday displays, and longer shopping hours are all on the schedule. While all of the hustle and bustle is fun, particularly in light of last year’s pandemic-related cancellations, it is important to take precautions. Personal injuries tend to surge over the holiday season. Find out common causes and ways to protect yourself.
Take Precautions When Attending Portland Holiday Events
Travel Portland provides a full calendar of activities starting the week of Thanksgiving and running throughout the holiday season. Some highlights include the Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony and Holiday Ale Festival at Pioneer Courthouse Square, Holiday Express train rides on Oregon Pacific Railroad in Southeast Portland, and the elaborate light displays at the historic Pittock Mansion.
While we don’t want to ruin your fun or discourage you from attending these or other holiday events, we encourage you to take precautions to prevent personal injuries. Common ways they happen include:
- Slips, trips, and falls: Even a seemingly minor slip and fall can leave you suffering serious harm. They frequently occur due to wet floors, chipped flooring tiles or frayed carpeting, uneven walkways, cluttered aisles, and a lack of proper lighting or landscaping.
- Getting struck by or against objects: Improperly stacked store displays, loose shelves and store fixtures, and hastily done holiday decor and light displays can all create serious hazards.
- Burn, fire, and electrical injuries: Bonfires, fireplaces, and candles all create ambiance but increase the risk for fires and burn injuries. Be careful around lighting displays as well. Avoid touching bulbs, standing on wires, or getting too close to connections.
- Pedestrian accidents: These can happen when crossing streets and walking through busy parking lots or to view lighting displays.
Protecting Yourself Against Personal Injuries
Even seemingly minor holiday accidents can leave you suffering serious personal injuries. In many cases, it is the reckless and negligent actions of others that are to blame. Under the Oregon Revised Statutes, you have the right to hold them liable for medical expenses, lost wages, and other costs you incur as a result. To protect yourself and your rights in filing a claim, take the following steps:
- Report personal injuries: Notify the police, onsite security, or the property owner immediately.
- Pay attention to details: Make note of exactly where, when, and why your injuries happened and any witnesses at the scene.
- Seek medical attention: Get medical care right away, regardless of the severity of your injuries or symptoms.
Reach Out to Us Today for Help
When any type of personal injuries happen, you can count on the Johnston Law Firm P.C. to provide the trusted legal representation you need. We hold those at fault accountable for the medical expenses, lost wages, and other costs you incur as a result of their negligence. Call (503) 546-3167 or contact our Portland personal injury attorneys online and request a consultation today.