When pedestrian accidents in Portland, Oregon happen, it is not uncommon for the at-fault driver to flee the scene in the aftermath. As experienced Portland pedestrian injury attorneys, we help victims in these cases get the compensation they need to recover. Find out more about why hit and run pedestrian accidents happen and how we can help apprehend the driver.
Common Reasons Behind Portland Hit and Run Pedestrian Accidents
A recent pedestrian accident in Portland, OR claimed the life of a local man. According to an August 10, 2021 KPTV News report (that has since been deleted from their site), it happened near the intersection of Northeast 33rd Avenue and Northeast Broadway Street. Police reports indicate the victim was walking shortly after 1:30 a.m. when he was struck by a passing vehicle. Rather than stopping, the at-fault driver fled the scene.
Under the Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS 811.705), not stopping at the scene of a pedestrian accident in Portland, or any other type of crash resulting in personal injuries, is a serious matter that could result in criminal charges being filed against you. Unfortunately, it happens on a regular basis. As experienced Portland personal injury attorneys, among the most common reasons we see in hit and run pedestrian accident cases include:
- The driver does not have a valid license, vehicle registration, or automobile insurance;
- They were under the influence of alcohol or other substances at the time of the crash;
- They have outstanding warrants and are wanted by police on other charges;
- They panicked and hope to avoid liability in a pedestrian accident claim.
How Our Portland, OR Personal Injury Attorneys Help You Hold Hit and Run Drivers Accountable
According to the Oregon chapter of the American Automobile Association (AAA), more than one hit-and-run accident occurs each minute on roads throughout the U.S. and pedestrians are among the most common victims. Drivers can face felony criminal charges as a result, with penalties that include loss of driving privileges, fines up to $125,000, and up to a five-year prison sentence. They can also be held liable for damages victims suffer in a personal injury claim.
As experienced Portland, OR personal injury attorneys, we help you locate hit and run drivers so that they can be held accountable. It is important to act quickly in this situation. Steps we can take on your behalf include:
- Reviewing accident reports and revisiting the scene;
- Getting a more in-depth description of the driver from witnesses at the scene;
- Reviewing nearby surveillance footage to identify the vehicle;
- Working with law enforcement to solicit tips from the general public and visiting local repair shops, where the driver may have taken the vehicle.
Let Us Help You Today
When hit and run pedestrian accidents happen, the Johnston Law Firm P.C. is here to help you get the compensation you are entitled to in a claim. Call (503) 546-3167 or contact our Portland, OR pedestrian accident attorney online to request a consultation today.