Taking the bus provides a convenient, cost-effective means of getting around the city. Many residents rely on buses as part of their commute or when running errands, but it is important to be aware of the risks. Bus accidents in Portland are unfortunately common and can result in potentially devastating personal injuries. Our Portland bus accident attorneys explain the different ways they can happen, common contributing causes, and your rights in holding those at fault accountable.
Common Ways In Which Bus Accidents In Portland Happen
TriMet is a major provider of bus services in Portland, operating more than 80 lines that travel throughout the area. There are also smaller bus charters available, as well as Greyhound for longer trips. Whatever type of bus you are traveling on, though, it is important to be aware of the potential risks.
Bus accidents in Portland occur on an alarmingly frequent basis and can happen in a variety of ways. Among the most common include:
- Bus crashes, which can involve collisions with guardrails, telephone poles, and other fixed objects or other vehicles;
- Bus rollover accidents, which are common when making tight turns or going too fast around curves;
- Bus passenger accidents, such as slips and falls or getting thrown from your seat, which can happen while boarding or during your trip;
- Bus pedestrian, bicycle, and motorcycle accidents, which can happen anywhere along bus routes and often result in serious, potentially fatal personal injuries.
A recent and tragic example is a bus accident in Portland that claimed the life of a local motorcyclist. According to an April 2023 KGW8 News report, it happened near Northeast Columbia Boulevard and Northeast 52nd Avenue. Police are continuing to investigate the case but report that the motorcyclist collided with the back right corner of the bus.
Common Causes of Portland Bus Accidents
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), an average of more than 25,000 people are injured in bus accidents each year. Considering the number of buses that routinely travel throughout the city, it is important for Portland residents to be aware of the risks. When these types of crashes and collisions happen, it is often due to one of the following causes:
- Reckless behavior on the part of the bus driver, such as speeding, following others too closely, and driving while distracted or under the influence;
- Drowsy driving, a common problem due to overscheduling;
- Recklessness on the part of other motorists, which can increase the odds of a bus accident;
- Mechanical failures, such as tire blowouts and brake failure, which are common contributing causes in bus crashes;
- Negligence on the part of the bus company, such as failing to properly vet and monitor drivers or ensure public safety at bus stops and along routes.
How To Get Compensation For Bus Accident Injuries In Portland
When any type of bus accident in Portland happens, notify the police immediately and seek medical attention for your injuries. If you are involved in a bus passenger accident, inform the bus driver so that an accident report can be filed.
When negligence on the part of the bus driver, the company they work for, or other motorists involved is responsible, you have the right to hold them accountable in a claim. However, be aware that bus companies typically have teams of attorneys on their side, ready to defend them. To get the compensation you need to recover, reach out to our Portland bus accident attorneys.
We negotiate with the bus company, their attorneys, and any insurers involved to get you the best possible settlement. In cases where multiple parties are at fault or your injuries are severe, we can represent you in filing a bus accident lawsuit. Compensation available includes:
- Payment of current and future medical expenses;
- Reimbursement for lost income and future losses in wages or benefits;
- Additional amounts to compensate you for pain, suffering, and lost enjoyment in life due to your injuries.
Request A Consultation With Our Portland Bus Accident Attorneys
Bus accidents in Portland can happen in a variety of ways and often occur due to negligence on the part of the bus driver, the bus company, or other motorists involved. At the Johnston Law Firm, we provide the professional legal representation you need to get compensation for your injuries. To get the best possible results in your case, get our team on your side. Call (503) 546-3167 or contact us online to request a consultation with our Portland bus accident attorneys today.