Change in Seasons Increases Risk of Slips and Falls in Portland
With summer behind us, changing seasons bring many new activities and events throughout the city of Portland. Open-air festivals, public parks, and shopping plazas will be bursting with mingling students, professionals, and older adults, many of whom are likely day-trippers from nearby areas. While Portland natives and other Oregonians rarely let a little rain put a damper on their enjoyment of these activities, wet floors and slick walking surfaces can increase your risk of slip and fall accidents resulting in potentially serious personal injuries. The following highlights tips to protect yourself, along with steps to take if a slip and fall does occur.
Reducing Your Risk of Slips and Falls
Fall weather means it is time for Portland residents to get their rain jackets, boots, and umbrellas out of storage. Travel Portland reports that October and November are peak months for rainfall. While this rarely stops residents from enjoying their usual activities or special events, it does require an extra degree of caution.
Rainy weather increases your risk for slip and fall accidents. Muscle strains, broken bones, and back or head injuries are all common injuries that can occur as a result. These can leave you struggling with medical expenses and ongoing disabilities. To reduce your risks, follow these simple tips:
- Wear shoes with the appropriate tread when heading outside on rainy days.
- Carry heels or dress shoes with you to change into at your destination.
- Be cautious at entrances and exits, where excess water tends to pool.
- Use handrails on stairs and on steep upgrades.
- Avoid distractions when walking on sidewalks or neighborhood streets, which increases the risk of suffering a fall.
What to Do in the Event of a Slip and Fall Accident
While most people are tempted to brush off a slip or fall, it is important not to underestimate the potential consequences. According to the National Floor Safety Institute (NFSI), slips and falls constitute one of the leading causes of personal injuries, sending more than eight million people to hospital emergency rooms each year.
While often regarded as ‘accidents’, the fact is that slips and falls are often the result of negligence on the part of others. Whether you are at a shopping mall, outdoor plaza, or some other public place, the property owner may be held liable for the damages you suffer. To protect your rights in filing a claim, follow these steps:
- Notify security, law enforcement, or the property manager immediately so that an accident report can be filed.
- Make note of the exact time and location of the accident, along with any witnesses at the scene.
- Get medical care right away, even if you think your injuries are minor.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions regarding treatment and activity restrictions.
Contact Us Today for Help
At the Johnston Law Firm, we know how serious even a minor slip and fall can be. To get the compensation you need to cover your medical care and other expenses, contact our Portland personal injury attorneys today at (503) 546-3167 and request a consultation.
- The Dangers of Walking While Impaired in Portland - October 15, 2021
- Reduce Your Risk of Car Accidents In Portland: Safety Tips for Driving In Rain and Fog - October 8, 2021
- Preventing Personal Injuries at Fall Events in Portland - September 24, 2021