Drag Racing Events In Portland Increase Personal Injury Risks and Spark Public Outcry Among Residents and Businesses
Portland has long had a problem with drag racing and it is a major safety concern for residents as well as local businesses. Blocking off streets and bridges causes major hassles for those traveling to and from the city while dangerous maneuvers and high rates of speed among drag racers endanger motorists, bicyclists, and pedestrians. When personal injuries happen, identifying those responsible can prove challenging. Find out more about this problem and how our Portland, Oregon personal injury attorneys can help you get compensation in a claim.
Street ‘Sliding’ Event Draws Hundreds of Drag Racers To The City
A recent drag racing event in Portland drew hundreds to the city. According to an August 2, 2021, Willamette Week news report, it involved street ‘sliding’, a dangerous practice in which drivers spin their vehicles in circles on blocked-off streets while spectators cheer them on.
News of the event spread quickly over Twitter and other social media outlets. Within hours, hundreds of people gathered at the corner of Northeast Martin Luther King Jr. and Columbia boulevards, shutting down surrounding streets. The event began at 9:00 p.m. and it was midnight before police could break it up and get the crowd of over 400 people to disperse. To evade arrest, drivers and attendees speed off through surrounding streets, endangering everyone in the area.
Local Officials Struggle to Put a Stop to Dangerous Drag Racing Events In Portland
Drag racing in Portland happens on a regular basis. Concerns over safety and the potential for personal injuries have sparked a large outcry among local residents and businesses. An August 23, 2021 report by KOIN News quoted police officials as saying they lacked the resources and personnel needed to shut down events, leaving the community frustrated.
Unfortunately for injured victims, drag racers, and event attendees who flaunt local laws are good at evading capture. They are likely to flee the scene when car accidents, bicycle accidents, or pedestrian accidents happen. Steps our Portland personal injury attorneys can take to help you hold them accountable include:
- Locating witnesses, who may see the accident happen and can identify the driver involved;
- Reviewing surveillance video from nearby traffic signals or businesses, which can help identify the make, model, and license plate number of the vehicle;
- Working with police to identify potential suspects who frequent these events;
- Soliciting tips from the general public and speaking to local mechanics, who the driver may have gone to for repairs.
Contact an Attorney Today for Help
When you suffer personal injuries due to a car, bike, and pedestrian accident or other causes, the Johnston Law Firm P.C. is here to help you get the compensation you need to recover in a claim. Call (503) 546-3167 or contact our Portland, OR personal attorneys online and request a consultation to get our legal team on your side today.
- The Dangers of Walking While Impaired in Portland - October 15, 2021
- Reduce Your Risk of Car Accidents In Portland: Safety Tips for Driving In Rain and Fog - October 8, 2021
- Preventing Personal Injuries at Fall Events in Portland - September 24, 2021