Many people have a fear of flying. However, it remains one of the most popular ways to travel and the chances of a crash are relatively slim. However, other types of mishaps are common, both at airports and onboard flights. If you have plans to fly this holiday season, our Portland personal injury attorneys want you to be aware of the risks.
Personal Injuries That Can Happen While Flying Over The Holiday Season
If you plan on flying to visit friends or family this holiday season and are feeling pre-flight jitters, be reassured. The National Safety Council (NSC) advises that air travel is one of the safest forms of transportation. The chances of a plane crash are slim and you can trust that taking an airplane is considerably safer than traveling in a motor vehicle.
However, while a major crash is highly unlikely to happen, there are some types of flight-related mishaps that are common and can cause potentially serious personal injuries. These include:
- Slips and falls while boarding, unloading, or moving through aisles;
- Getting struck by falling luggage from overhead compartments;
- Getting struck by or against rolling beverage carts;
- In-flight turbulence, which can cause you to be shaken or thrown from your seat;
- Hard landings, causing violent jolts to various body parts.
All of these incidents can leave you suffering injuries that impact your health and ability to work for months or even years after you travel. To protect your rights in filing a claim, report it to flight attendants and the airline immediately.
Accidents That Can Happen In Airports
Despite ongoing problems within the airline industry and the high costs of both domestic and foreign flights, flying continues to be one of the most popular ways to travel. According to Travel Pulse, nearly 45 percent of U.S. residents plan on flying at some point over the holiday season. This means you can expect airports to be crowded and busy, which increases personal injury risks.
Slip and fall accidents, getting struck by or against objects, and generally crowded conditions are all common causes of accidents in airports. If something like this happens or you are injured for any other reason, take these steps to protect your rights to compensation:
- Notify the police or on-site security so an accident report can be filed;
- Make note of the terminal you are in and which airline it hosts;
- Use your cell phone or camera to take photos of the scene;
- Get the names and contact information for witnesses at the scene;
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible, preferably prior to departing if possible.
Reach Out To Our Portland Personal Injury Attorneys
When personal injuries happen during a flight or in an airport terminal, you have the right to file a claim. For trusted legal guidance, reach out to the Johnston Law Firm. Call (503) 546-3167 or contact us online and request a consultation with our Portland personal injury attorney today.