A new year provides the opportunity to make a new beginning. Many of us set resolutions regarding bad habits we want to break and new ones we want to adopt to make 2024 our happiest, healthiest year yet. Unfortunately, most people are unaware of one of the biggest threats, which is the risk of personal injuries.
Personal injuries suffered in accidents for which others are to blame are a common cause of death and disability. Even in relatively minor cases, they could leave you facing major medical debts, lost wages, and other costs for many months after. Our Oregon personal injury lawyer recommends being aware of the risks and setting a few simple resolutions that can help protect your health and financial security in the new year to come.
Know The Risks: Common Causes Of Oregon Personal Injuries
According to the State Health Authority, an average of 300,000 people visit hospital emergency rooms as a result of personal injuries in Oregon each year. They typically happen in so-called accidents for which others are actually to blame.
Broken bones, deep cuts and bruises, torn muscles or tendons, and potentially devastating head, back, neck, or other serious personal injuries can happen in a variety of ways. Among the most common causes include:
- Car accidents caused by speeding, drunk driving, or other dangerous behaviors;
- Pedestrian and bicycle accidents, which can be particularly devastating;
- Slips and falls, due to wet floors, uneven walkways, excess clutter, and other hazards;
- Getting struck by or against objects in public places, due to a lack of safety precautions.
Burns, dog bites, and sports or recreational accidents are also common causes of personal injuries in Oregon. While others may be at fault, taking precautions can help reduce the risk.
Precautions To Prevent Personal Injuries In Oregon
Goals to improve overall health are at the top of most people’s New Year’s resolutions. Considering the risks of personal injuries in Oregon, make up your mind to take the following precautions in 2024:
- When driving: Wear a seatbelt, watch the speed limit, avoid tailgating or other aggressive behavior, and pay attention to all traffic signs and signals.
- When biking: Wear a helmet and other safety gear.
- When walking: Wear light, bright colors, stay on sidewalks, and cross only at designated intersections.
- In stores or other public places: Be alert for common hazards, stay away from roped-off areas, locate entrances and exits as soon as you arrive, and note security people nearby.
- When engaging in sports or recreational activities: Get proper training, take recommended precautions, and report injuries immediately.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) warns that while personal injuries are a leading cause of death and disability, they can be prevented in some cases. In addition to the above, use care when walking on uneven surfaces or going up and down steps. If you encounter a dog, avoid trying to pet them without asking the owner first. Be cautious when walking or driving near construction sites, and read instructions before using products to help prevent personal injuries.
Protecting Your Rights In An Oregon Personal Injury Claim
Despite taking precautions, personal injuries in Oregon can still happen. Unfortunately, reckless and negligent behavior on the part of others is to blame. Under the Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS 31.705), you have the right to hold them liable for the costs you suffer as a result. To protect your rights to compensation in a personal injury claim, follow these steps:
- Report any type of accident to the police or other authorities immediately;
- Make sure an accident report is filed and details what happened;
- Get names, contact, and insurance information for everyone involved;
- Get the names of witnesses and take photos at the scene;
- Seek medical care as soon as possible and follow all doctor instructions;
- Avoid making any statements to insurers or agreeing to a settlement amount without speaking to our Oregon personal injury lawyer first.
Request A Consultation With Our Oregon Personal Injury Lawyer Today
Personal injuries in Oregon can happen despite your precautions. At Johnston Law Firm, we provide the trusted, experienced legal representation you need in filing a claim. You can count on our legal team to take whatever legal actions are needed to get you compensation. Our Oregon personal injury lawyer is dedicated to getting you the maximum amount you deserve and need to recover. To request a consultation, call (503) 546-3167 or contact our office online today.