For the last several decades, there has been an alarming increase in motor vehicle accidents in Oregon. Each year, the number of people killed in crashes continues to climb. While overall these numbers have dropped thus far in 2022, unfortunately fatal personal injuries due to pedestrian accidents continue to be a major concern. Our Oregon personal injury attorneys explain more about the problem and how to protect yourself.
Oregon Pedestrian Accidents Continue To Increase At Alarming Rates
Oregon motor vehicle traffic deaths have been a serious concern for public safety officials. According to a July 2022 Oregon Live report, the numbers have risen steadily over the past few decades, resulting in a 30-year high in 2021.
Sadly, the reckless actions of drivers are often responsible for car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, and pedestrian accidents in our area. These can result in the tragic and untimely deaths of victims while leaving grieving friends and family members reeling in the aftermath. A concerted push in regards to raising public awareness, increasing law enforcement presence on Oregon roads, and improving local infrastructure seems to have helped. However, recently released 2022 traffic accident statistics show both good and bad news:
- For the first six months of 2022, the number of car, truck, motorcycle, and bicycle accidents shows a significant decline over prior years;
- Unfortunately, the number of fatal pedestrian accidents continue to increase at an alarming rate and has reached a 50 year high;
- There has been a concerning number of hit and run pedestrian accidents in Oregon recently, resulting in close to a dozen deaths since the beginning of the year.
Protecting Yourself And Loved Ones Against Pedestrian Accidents In Oregon
Pedestrians are among the most vulnerable road users. With little to protect them in collisions involving motor vehicles, injuries they suffer are often severe. Fatal pedestrian accidents are a serious concern and a problem that does not just impact Oregon. According to statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), a pedestrian is killed an average of nearly once per hour in the United States. To protect yourself against these types of crashes, follow these tips:
- Pick safe walking routes, away from traffic-congested streets and in areas with sidewalks;
- Always use crosswalks at intersections;
- Never assume a driver sees you or will automatically come to a stop;
- Wear light, bright colors to increase visibility;
- Consider carrying a flashlight when walking at night;
- Avoid distractions, such as ear buds, which could cause you to miss honking horns or other warning signs;
- Avoid walking under the influence of alcohol or medications.
Contact Our Oregon Personal Injury Attorneys
When you or someone you love is involved in any type of motor vehicle accident, you can count on the Johnston Law Firm P.C to help. We hold at fault drivers accountable and get you the compensation you are entitled to in a claim. Call (503) 546-3167 or contact our Oregon personal injury attorneys online to schedule a consultation today.