Portland Truck Overturn Accident: Why Overturns Occur and the Impact They Result In
Semi-trucks, tractor-trailers, and other big rigs are a common sight on highways throughout Portland and when traveling to other parts of the state. Both their massive size and the area they require for maneuvering mean that take up significant amounts of space. As a result, even a minor mishap can have major impacts on road and traffic conditions for miles in each direction. Overturns are one of the most common types of truck accidents and are among those most likely to affect other drivers and residents of the community as well.
The Dangers of Truck Overturn Accidents
A recent truck overturn accident in Portland created a mess on the road and major traffic jams during a recent rush hour. According to a February 27, 2020 report by KGW 8 News, the accident happened on Interstate 5 at SW Briar Place, just north of the Terwilliger curves. A semi-truck carrying pallets of dog food was headed in the northbound lanes when it suddenly overturned, blocking traffic in the two right lanes.
As is common in overturn accidents, truck fuel spilled across the highway. Cleanup crews were immediately dispatched and closed down traffic in all directions. The accident occurred just before the end of the busy rush hour period but fortunately, no other drivers were involved or injured as a result. It took several hours to clean up the fuel and to remove the truck and its cargo, which was strewn across the road, but the impact on the surrounding community was minimal.
While the overturn accident may have caused major headaches for commuters, the situation could have been far worse. Impacts that can occur as a result of overturn truck accidents include:
- Multi-vehicle pile-ups, in which numerous other motorists suffer potentially serious injuries;
- Vehicle fires and explosions due to fuel and engine oil leaks;
- Impacts on residents of the surrounding community in cases where cargo consists of hazardous substances;
- Impacts on the road itself, requiring costly infrastructure repairs.
How Do Truck Overturn Accidents Happen?
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), overturns are one of the most common types of accidents. Causes include:
- Reckless behavior on the part of the truck driver, such as going too fast around curves;
- Lack of proper driving training, which can result in dangerous maneuverability errors, such as cutting turns too sharply;
- Improper loading practices, such as failing to secure or properly balance cargo, making rollovers more likely to happen;
- Lack of proper truck maintenance, which can cause mechanical issues that contribute to rollover truck accidents.
When rollover truck accidents do occur, both the driver and the company they work for may be liable for the damages others suffer as a result.
Contact Our Portland Truck Accident Attorneys
Truck accidents can have serious impacts on motorists and others in the community. The Johnston Law Firm P.C. holds those at fault accountable. To request a consultation to discuss your case, call (503) 546-3167 or contact our Portland truck accident attorneys online today.
- What Are The Real Reasons Behind Pedestrian Accidents In Portland? - April 15, 2021
- Distracted Driving Awareness Month: Reducing Car Accident Risks In Portland - April 8, 2021
- Public Service Announcement Riddle, Oregon - April 5, 2021