Portland Boating Accident Attorney
The Pacific Northwest is one of the nation’s best regions for boating. Many people in and around the city of Portland enjoy spending their free time out on the water. Whether it is in Willamette or Columbia River, one of the many beautiful lakes in Oregon or Washington, or the Pacific Ocean, the possibilities are almost limitless.
As fun as boating can be, it must also be noted that the activity has the potential to be extremely dangerous. Indeed, if proper safety precautions are not taken, the consequences can be catastrophic. According to public data provided by the United States Coast Guard (USCG), an average of 13 people are killed in boating crashes in Oregon each year, and 25 are killed in Washington. Many others suffer severe, life-changing injuries.
Boat owners and operators have a legal duty to protect the health and safety of their passengers, and everyone else on the water. If they fail to live up to this duty, they must be held fully responsible for their negligence. At Johnston Law Firm, P.C., our dedicated Portland boating accident attorney fights hard to protect the legal rights and financial interests of injured boat crash victims. If you or a loved one was hurt in a boat accident of any kind in Oregon or Washington, please contact our team today for immediate assistance with your legal claim.
Why Boating Accidents Occur
Boating accident injuries occur for a variety of different reasons. Though, very few boating accidents are truly unavoidable. In fact, most boat injuries could have been prevented, if only proper safety protocols had been followed. Some of the most common reasons why boat accidents occur in the Portland region include:
- Boat operator inexperience;
- Drunk or drugged boat operation;
- Boat operator distraction, or other types of carelessness or inattention;
- Speeding or making reckless turns;
- Failing to provide an adequate number of life jackets;
- Boat owners allowing passengers to sit in unsafe locations;
- Boat owners failing to make proper safety repairs;
- Commercial boat companies hiring unqualified or under trained staff members;
- Boating in a restricted or otherwise unsafe area; and
- The boat being poorly manufactured.
How to Establish Liability in a Boat Accident Case
Boating accident claims involve a complex web of both state and federal law. These state and federal safety regulations govern many different issues, from equipment on the boat to required maintenance to where, when and how a boat can be operated. Ultimately, if your boat accident injury was caused by the negligence of any other party, you can and should hold them liable for your injuries. Our firm will investigate your case, and secure the evidence needed to make a strong claim under Oregon’s comparative negligence law (ORS 31.600), Washington’s comparative law (RCW 4.22.005) or any other state or federal statutes.
Notably, both commercial and recreational boat operators can be held liable for any accident. For the most part, these cases proceed in a similar manner. However, commercial boat operators are held to much higher safety standards. If you or a family member was hurt on a commercial boat, we can help you bring a legal case.
Compensation Available for Boating Accident Victims
Our firm helps boat accident victims seek a full and fair settlement offer for their damages. Most boat owners and operators carry insurance, and thus these claims are typically handled by large insurance companies. Insurers are committed to protecting their own bottom line. They will not usually willingly pay you the full settlement you deserve. To hold the insurer fully accountable, you should always work with a qualified personal injury attorney. Our firm will fight aggressively, to ensure that you are able to maximize your recovery. Depending on the facts of your case, you may be eligible to recover for:
- Any property damage;
- Emergency room and ambulance fees;
- All other medical bills;
- Required medication and medical equipment;
- Physical or psychological therapy;
- Short-term or long-term disability;
- Lost income, including diminished earning capacity;
- Pain and suffering;
- Mental distress;
- Severe physical damage, including disfigurement;
- Loss of life enjoyment; and
- Wrongful death.
Contact Our Portland Boating Accident Attorney Today
At the Johnston Law Firm, P.C., our top-rated personal injury lawyers have extensive experience handling boating accident claims in Oregon and Washington. If you were severely injured in any type of boating accident, please call us today at 503-546-3167 or contact us online to set up your free legal consultation. From our office in the heart of Portland, we represent victims throughout the region, including in Vancouver, Washington.
- The Dangers of Walking While Impaired in Portland - October 15, 2021
- Reduce Your Risk of Car Accidents In Portland: Safety Tips for Driving In Rain and Fog - October 8, 2021
- Preventing Personal Injuries at Fall Events in Portland - September 24, 2021