Halloween is one of the most fun holidays in Portland. Children look forward to getting dressed up as their favorite characters and heading out in search of tricks or treats. However, for parents taking little ghosts and goblins to local events, it is important to use caution.
While haunted houses and horror movies provide plenty of scares at this time of year, the real fear is children’s pedestrian accidents. These can result in serious, potentially disabling children’s injuries in Portland. Find out the steps you can take to help prevent them.
Parents Encouraged To Take Precautions With Costumes On Halloween
Fall is a favorite time of year for many people and Halloween plays a major part in the fun. Travel Portland provides a long list of events for families throughout the Oregon area. It includes everything from pumpkin patches and hayrides to the annual Halloween Town at St. Helens. These types of activities are perfect to attend with children and give them plenty of opportunity to dress in costume. However, it is important for parents to take some precautions.
Unfortunately, Halloween is one of the most common times of year for children to suffer personal injuries and pedestrian accidents are one of the leading causes. Costumes can play a key role in either increasing risks or keeping children safe. When deciding on an outfit, follow these tips:
- Make sure costumes do not drag on the floor, which creates slip hazards;
- Use caution with masks, which can impede your child’s vision;
- Incorporate reflective patches into costumes;
- Have children carry flashlights or glow sticks with them to increase visibility.
Pedestrian accidents involving children are more common at Halloween than at any other time of year. While these accidents can happen while attending Halloween-themed events in Portland, especially when walking through parking lots, trick-or-treating poses some of the biggest risks. To prevent serious and potentially debilitating children’s injuries, the National Safety Council (NSC) recommends following these tips:
- Make sure younger children are accompanied by an adult;
- With older children, review the route they will travel and have them check in periodically throughout the night;
- Choose neighborhoods with houses that are close together and where there is no heavy traffic;
- Encourage children to use sidewalks at all times and to only cross at designated intersections;
- Advise them to be particularly cautious near driveways.
When Children’s Injuries Happen, Contact Our Portland Personal Injury Attorneys
Halloween is one of the riskiest times of year in terms of children’s injuries. Unfortunately, pedestrian accidents are a common cause and can cause serious harm, impacting your family for months or even years after. While taking precautions helps to reduce the risks, these accidents are often caused by the reckless and negligent actions of others involved.
At the Johnston Law Firm, our Portland children’s injuries attorney provides the trusted legal guidance you need to hold those at-fault accountable in a claim. We help you get the compensation you need to cover medical expenses and other costs involved. To request a consultation, call (503) 546-3167 or contact our office online today.