Public Awareness Campaign Focuses on Personal Injury Risks Among Older Adults Due to Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents can happen to anyone and occur in a variety of situations. Wet weather in Vancouver and rugged terrain makes them particularly common in our area. Due to the jarring impacts to the body these accidents typically result in, serious personal injuries can easily occur. Older adults are among those most at risk and a nationwide campaign hopes to raise awareness about the dangers.
Fall Prevention Awareness
The increase in cooler temperatures and the coming fall season present a good opportunity to raise awareness regarding one of the most common causes of personal injuries. Fall Prevention Awareness Day was held on September 23, 2019 as a way of increasing the public’s knowledge about these accidents and the serious risks they pose to victims.
The campaign is sponsored by the National Council on Aging (NCOA). While injuries due to slips and falls can impact anyone and at any age, older adults face the most significant dangers. Even a relatively minor fall can lead to potentially debilitating injuries. In severe cases, a fall can spur a steady health decline, eventually hastening an untimely death.
Older adults are urged to address issues in their homes that make falls more likely to occur. This includes replacing worn carpeting, using non-slip mats in showers and bathtubs, and making sure handrails are secure on stairs. When out at stores, restaurants, office buildings, and other public places, be aware of common slip and fall hazards, such as:
- Wet, slippery floors due to rain, spilled liquids, or condensation;
- Cluttered aisles and hallways;
- Uneven paving stones and tiles;
- Areas under construction or renovation;
- Unguarded heights;
- Lack of proper lighting in stairwells and other areas.
Protecting Yourself Against Slip and Fall Injuries
Fall prevention is particularly important in our area. According to the City of Vancouver website, roughly one out of every five residents are over the age of 60. To protect yourself, it is important to be aware of situations in which slips and falls occur, wear proper shoes for various activities and outside conditions, and know what to do in the event of a slip or fall.
It is a natural tendency to downplay the situation when a slip and fall accident happens. However, to protect yourself and your health, it is important to follow these steps:
- Alert security or the property owner immediately;
- Make sure an accident report is filed;
- Make note of your surroundings and any witnesses at the scene;
- Get medical attention right away.
Even a minor slip or fall accident can cause major injuries. In these cases, property owners can be held accountable.
Reach Out to Us Today for Help
When property owners fail to address potential hazards that could put others at risk, they can be held liable for the medical costs and other expenses you suffer as a result. To discuss your options in filing a claim, call (503) 546-3167 or contact our Vancouver personal injury attorneys online to request a consultation today.
- Jackknife Crashes One of the Most Common Types of Truck Accidents In Portland - September 17, 2021
- Safety Advocates Review Crash Reports To Uncover Real Reasons For Pedestrian Accidents In Portland - September 10, 2021
- Punitive Damages: Holding Those At-Fault Accountable For Particularly Reckless Behavior in a Portland Car Accident Claim - September 3, 2021