Reduce Your Risk of Car Accidents In Portland: Safety Tips for Driving In Rain and Fog
October begins the rainy season in Portland and foggy conditions become more common as well. This creates potentially dangerous conditions for motorists, increasing the risk of car accidents in Portland. The following are safety tips for driving in rainy weather, which can help protect you, your passengers, and others on the road.
The Hazards of Driving in Wet, Foggy Conditions
While not the rainiest city in the Pacific Northwest, we do get our fair share. Moving To Portland advises visitors that rather than heavy rainfalls, expect a steady mist starting in late October and running throughout the winter months. Along with the mist comes fog, generally moving in at night and lasting through the next morning. Both of these create hazards for drivers on local roads.
When motorists think of weather conditions that make driving dangerous, they tend to think of snow and ice. However, the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) points out that rainy conditions and wet roads are actually a bigger threat, responsible for more than half of the more than one million weather-related car accidents that occur each year. Dangerous conditions to be alert for include:
- Poor visibility: Glare from headlights, street lamps, traffic signals, and even your dashboard becomes more of a problem. It also makes it more difficult to see other motorists, particularly at night, or judge distances.
- Decreased tire traction: Even small amounts of rain on the road can make skidding and hydroplaning more likely to happen. Poor tire traction makes it more difficult to navigate turns or stop suddenly in heavy traffic conditions.
- Increased braking time: Poor traction and wet, slick roads mean that drivers need to begin applying the brakes far in advance of making stops or attempting to slow down in traffic.
- Increased likelihood of obstacles: Car accidents and breakdowns become more common in wet, foggy conditions and create hazards for other motorists.
Safe Driving Tips For Wet, Foggy Conditions To Prevent Car Accidents In Portland
The City of Portland advises that there are between 10,000 and 12,000 car accidents in our area each year. Residents need to be aware that risks for crashes and collisions become a greater concern during wet, foggy weather. To protect yourself, follow these tips:
- Dim dashboard lights in your car, which can help reduce glare.
- Avoid high beams in the mist or fog, which can blind other motorists.
- Give other drivers plenty of space and avoid speeding, tailgating, or other aggressive behaviors.
- If you do skid, slowly turn the wheel in the direction you want to go rather than oversteer.
Contact an Attorney for Help
When car accidents happen, you can count on the Johnston Law Firm P.C. to provide the legal representation you need. Our goal is to get you the maximum amount of compensation you are entitled to in a claim. Call (503) 546-3167 or contact our Portland car accident attorney online and request a consultation today.
- The Dangers of Walking While Impaired in Portland - October 15, 2021
- Reduce Your Risk of Car Accidents In Portland: Safety Tips for Driving In Rain and Fog - October 8, 2021
- Preventing Personal Injuries at Fall Events in Portland - September 24, 2021