Slip and Fall Accidents Due to Winter Weather: A Common Cause of Personal Injuries In Portland
Winter weather is upon us in Portland, which means periods of dense fog, chilling temperatures, and plenty of rain. This makes it difficult to commute to work or engage in any of your usual outdoor activities. It also increases your personal injury risks. As slip and fall accidents in Portland are common during the winter months, it is important to be aware of potential dangers and what to do if injuries occur.
Personal Injuries Due to Slip and Fall Accidents
The National Floor Safety Institute (NFSI) reports more than one million people seek care in hospital emergency rooms each year due to slips and falls. They are particularly common over the winter months and a leading cause of personal injuries in Portland. Even a seemingly minor slip and fall accident can leave you suffering serious harm. Common injuries include:
- Broken bones;
- Deep cuts and lacerations;
- Dislocated joints;
- Head injuries, such as concussions and skull fractures;
- Slipped or herniated discs in the back or neck;
- Soft tissue injuries, such as sprained or torn muscles and tendons
Slip and fall accidents can occur due to torn carpeting, chipped flooring tiles, uneven walkways, or a lack of handrails, but wet, slippery floors are one of the leading causes. You can help to protect yourself against personal injuries in Portland by staying on top of weather conditions, paying close attention when walking, sticking to only cleared paths and sidewalks, and wearing shoes with non-skid soles while outdoors.
What to Do When Personal Injuries in Portland Happen as a Result of Slips and Falls
Business owners and managers have a legal duty to maintain their property, providing routine upkeep and warning visitors of potential dangers that exist. When they fail in this duty and a slip and fall accident happens, they can be held liable for damages you suffer under the Oregon Statutes.
Insurance policies property owners have in place may cover some of your medical bills, lost wages, and other costs. If they are uninsured or your injuries are severe, you have the right to file a personal injury lawsuit against them. Steps you should take in the aftermath of a slip and fall to protect your rights in filing a claim include:
- Notify the police, onsite security, and the property owner immediately;
- Make note of the circumstances surrounding your accident and whether there were any witnesses at the scene;
- Seek medical care as soon as possible, regardless of the severity of your injuries;
- Follow all of your doctors instructions regarding follow-up care and work or other activity restrictions.
Reach Out to Us Today for Help
When slip and fall accidents happen, personal injuries you suffer as a result could impact you for months or even years into the future. At the Johnston Law Firm P.C., we help you get the compensation you need to recover. To request a consultation, call (503) 546-3167 or contact our Portland personal injury attorneys online today.
- Jackknife Crashes One of the Most Common Types of Truck Accidents In Portland - September 17, 2021
- Safety Advocates Review Crash Reports To Uncover Real Reasons For Pedestrian Accidents In Portland - September 10, 2021
- Punitive Damages: Holding Those At-Fault Accountable For Particularly Reckless Behavior in a Portland Car Accident Claim - September 3, 2021
Tags: slip and fallRelated Posts: Reduce Personal Injury Risks Over Thanksgiving Slip and Fall Accidents: Know the Risks and What to Do if Personal Injuries Happen Slips, Trips, and Falls are a Leading Cause of Personal Injuries Among Older Adults Older Adults Face at Risk for Personal Injuries