At The Johnson Law Firm, we, like many of our clients, have much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. One way to show our gratitude is by giving back. The sense of community in our area is part of what makes Portland a great place to live. While we have the same problems with poverty, homelessness, and addiction as every other city. We also have a number of amazing charitable groups, shelters, and places to donate food, clothes, and other items for men, women, and children in need.
For those who are looking to express gratitude for the gifts in their lives by helping others this Thanksgiving, our Portland personal injury and accident attorneys have put together this list of several local places in need of donations or volunteers.
Portland Volunteer Opportunities
According to the City of Portland, on any given night there are roughly 4,000 people who have no place to call their own and end up sleeping in various shelters or on the streets. While both the city of Portland and Multnomah County invest money for area programs that address homelessness, they also rely on the citizen of our community to step in and help where needed. The following are just a few of the local groups who welcome volunteers:
- Portland Rescue Mission provides food and shelter to homeless men and women in our area. They rely on thousands of volunteers to help serve holiday meals, as well as to donate food, clothes, and services. Contact Portland Rescue Mission at 503-MISSION (647-7466).
- Portland Homeless Family Solutions (PHFS) is a local non-profit that helps homeless families with children. They operate an emergency shelter, provide transitional services, and help families get into permanent homes. To volunteer or donate to PHFS, call 503-915-8307.
- Hands On Greater Portland is a one stop shop for people looking to volunteer or donate. A program of the United Way, local opportunities to be of service are listed on a monthly calendar and you can visit their website to find out about donating.
- Feast For Southeast is a grassroots group that provides a community Thanksgiving meal each year while also providing hats, gloves, coats, and toys to guests. You can volunteer to help cook, serve guests, or clean up after the meal, or make a commitment to donate food, clothing and toys on their website, feast4southeast.com.
- The Albertina Kerr Center has been offering help to children struggling with behavioral, emotional, and physical disabilities in our area since 1907. They offer a wide range of support services and host yearly events and fundraisers. To apply or donate, visit their website at albertinakerr.org.
- Toys for Tots is an annual campaign that is run by the U.S. Marine Corp and distributes Christmas presents to children in need throughout the country. View drop off locations located throughout the area
- The Pixie Project looks after our furry-four legged friends, and is a non-profit rescue and adoption center offering a variety of services that are open to the public, including spay and neuter clinics and veterinary services for low-income families. Donate or volunteer at the shelter by calling (503) 542-3432.
We’re Here When You Need Us
While Portland has an abundance of non-profit groups looking after the needs of our community, they all need our help. Choose a group from our list, or find one of your own online. Have a safe holiday season and remember that at the Johnston Law Firm, our experienced Portland accident and injury attorneys are here when you need us.