Personal injuries can happen in the blink of an eye. You may be on your way to or from work or school, out running errands, or engaged in hobbies, sports, or recreational activities. Suddenly, someone’s reckless actions result in an ‘accident’ occurring. In addition to the potentially serious consequences on your health, personal injuries can also leave you facing a mountain of debt due to lost wages and ongoing medical expenses. In these situations, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses through a personal injury claim or lawsuit. The following highlights common ways personal injuries in Vancouver often happen.
Four Common Ways Personal Injuries Occur
When personal injuries occur, people often refer to them as ‘accidents’. However, they are generally caused by the reckless and negligent actions of others involved. Common scenarios include the following:
- Motor vehicle accidents: According to statistics from the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT), motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of personal injuries in Vancouver. In addition to causing serious injuries for more than 36,000 drivers and passengers each year, they injure thousands more motorcyclists, pedestrians, and bicyclists as well. Common causes include reckless driving behaviors, such as speeding, running red lights, distracted driving, and driving under the influence.
- Slips, trips, and falls: These are another leading cause of personal injuries, both in Vancouver and throughout the United States. They often happen in stores, restaurants, office buildings, or even in other peoples homes. Poorly lit sidewalks, uneven flooring surfaces, and wet floors due to spills are often to blame.
- Sports and recreational accidents: Personal injuries can easily happen when engaged in team or solo sports. These often happen due to a lack of proper instruction or safety equipment and rough play. Injuries can also occur while pursuing a variety of different hobbies or outdoor activities. The Washington State Department of Parks reports that boating accidents alone involve more than 100 people each year. Leading causes are operator inexperience and inattention, along with the use of alcohol and other intoxicating substances.
- Getting struck by or against objects: This can happen in stores or in other public areas and is often due to improperly installed fixtures, poorly stocked or secured shelves, and falling debris due to nearby work or construction sites.
Let Our Vancouver Personal Injury Attorneys Help You In Seeking Compensation
When you suffer personal injuries, the at fault party may be liable for the medical expenses, lost wages, and other costs you incur. To protect yourself and your rights to compensation, make sure to do the following:
- Report the accident immediately, either to security or local law enforcement;
- Get contact information from others involved, including potential witnesses;
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible, and follow your doctor’s instructions regarding work or activity restrictions.
At the Johnston Law Firm, while you focus on recovering from your injuries, we focus on getting you the compensation you are entitled to in a claim. Call (503) 546-3167 or contact our Portland accident attorneys online to request a consultation today.