Start your free case review
Representing injured Victims
In Forest Grove and
Throughout All Of Oregon
About Johnston Law Firm
The risk of fatal and injury-causing accidents is high, but you might not realize how frequently these tragic incidents occur. According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), around 25 million people are treated in hospital emergency rooms every year for unintentional injuries. Almost 201,000 are killed in accidents that are preventable, making accidents the fourth leading cause of death in the US. It is a relief to know that you have legal remedies under Oregon personal injury laws, but the process for recovering compensation is complicated.
You can count on the Johnston Law Firm to pursue the at-fault parties and guide you through the process for recovering compensation. We are aggressive in dealing with insurance companies, but we are ready to take your case to court to protect your rights. Please contact us to set up a complimentary consultation with a Forest Grove personal injury attorney. Some background on the relevant legal concepts is also informative.
Our Representation for
Oregon Accident Victims
We are ready to assist with all types of personal injury claims, including:
- Traffic Accidents: Car, truck, and motorcycle collisions are often caused by speeding, failure to yield, drunk drivers, and other carelessness. Pedestrian and bicycle accidents are also covered by auto crash laws, even though the victim was not in a motorized vehicle.
- Slip and Falls: Property owners have a duty to maintain a safe space, so they can be liable for failure to do so. Slips, trips, falls, and other accidents are more likely when hazards are present.
- Defective Products: Manufacturers are accountable when they allow a dangerous, defective product to enter the stream of commerce.
- Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect: Assisted living centers have legal obligations by statute and contract, but they may fail to uphold their duties.
- Medical Malpractice: Health care providers are required to deliver treatment in accordance with certain medical standards. Patients who suffer harm may have a claim under medical malpractice laws.
- Wrongful Death: When an accident is fatal, surviving family members may have legal options. It is possible to recover compensation through a wrongful death claim.
Don’t miss out on these common personal injury mistakes.
Essential Elements in Personal Injury Cases
Though the specific reasons behind an accident may vary, these incidents usually occur because someone was negligent. The term is often used interchangeably with carelessness, but negligence is a theory of liability in the practice of law. To qualify for compensation, there are four sets of facts you must show:
- The other person or entity had a duty to use reasonable care when acting, whether driving, maintaining property, or treating patients.
- The at-fault party breached this legal duty through unreasonably unsafe actions.
- The breach of duty was the direct cause of the accident in which you were injured.
- You suffered physical, emotional, and financial losses because of being hurt.
Rights After an Accident
In most personal injury cases, the legal process starts by filing an insurance claim. You might expect to fill out some forms, but there are additional details when dealing with an insurer. These companies are for-profit businesses, and your claim represents a loss. Without sufficient evidence of fault by the policyholder and the extent of your losses, the insurer will likely deny your claim.
In some cases, you may be able to settle your claim by agreement. The key with negotiations is knowing what your claim is worth, because the company will offer a lowball settlement. Your claim could go to mediation to facilitate agreement, and some cases are resolved through the process.
If the insurance company will not pay a fair amount, you will need to sue in court. The litigation process is extremely complicated, from filing the complaint to the trial.
with Accident Cases
While an overview about personal injury laws is useful, the details have a profound impact on your rights. It is wise to get qualified legal help from a Forest Grove personal injury lawyer to handle all steps of the process. The Johnston Law Firm will support you by:
- Conducting an investigation to prove fault;
- Gathering all evidence regarding negligence and your losses;
- Completing all insurance claims forms and submitting them to the insurer with supporting documents;
- Discussing settlement options with the insurance company;
- Advocating on your behalf during mediation; and,
- Representing you throughout the litigation process.
Our firm will prepare the complaint to initiate the lawsuit, and we will deal with all court hearings, discovery, depositions, and motions. At trial, we will present evidence, testimony, and arguments to obtain the best possible result.
Personal Injury Claims
This description of accident claims is useful, but it is helpful to review answers to common questions about these cases.
You can obtain amounts for your economic damages, including medical costs and lost income. It is also possible to recover for noneconomic damages, which are the subjective, personal losses that affect your quality of life. Pain and suffering is an example.
Yes, Oregon has a statute of limitations of two years. If you allow the deadline to expire before you sue in court, you are barred from recovering any compensation.
Your own negligent acts could affect your compensation under comparative negligence principles. The amount is reduced by the percentage of fault attributable to you; if you are 51 percent at fault, you cannot recover any compensation for your losses.
Contact Us for a FREE Consultation
- Portland Personal Injury
- Boating Accident
- Brain Injuries
- Burn Injuries
- Catastrophic Injuries
- Child Injuries
- Civil Rights
- Defective Product
- Dog Bite Injuries
- Elder Abuse
- Explosion & Fire Accidents
- Inadequate Security
- Neck Injury
- Sexual Assault
- Sports Injury
- Swimming Pool Accident
- Tenant Injury
- Victims of Crime
- Work Site & Industrial Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Airplane Accident
- Bicycle Accident
- Portland Bus Accident Attorney
- Portland Car Accident Attorney
- Portland Commercial Vehicles Accidents
- Crashes Involving Uber, Lyft & Taxi Drivers
- Distracted Driver Accidents
- Dram Shop Claims
- Drugged Driving
- Drunk Driving
- Accidents Involving Government Vehicles
- Hit and Run
- Motorcycle Accident
- Pedestrian Injury
- Truck Accident
- Snow & Ice Accidents
- Train Accident
- Health Insurance Denials
- Portland Trials and Civil Litigation
- Medical, Device, & Drug
– Michelle E.
Mr. Johnston and his firm were incredibly thorough in getting us a fair settlement from our insurance company with little to no pressure. We really appreciated having someone who truly cared about us every step of the way. I would highly recommend the Johnston Law Firm to anyone in need of personal injury representation.
Discuss Your Options with a Forest Grove Personal Injury Attorney
If you were hurt or lost a loved one in an accident, it is important to take advantage of all possible remedies. The Johnston Law Firm is prepared to pursue at-fault parties to ensure you receive fair compensation, so please contact us today. You can call (503) 389-3479 or go online to schedule a free case review with a member of our team. An Oregon personal injury lawyer can explain the laws and next steps after reviewing the details of your case.
Contact Us for a FREE Consultation
If you have been seriously injured at no fault of your own, please contact us using the form.
CALL 503-546-3167 NOW