Happy Valley PERSONAL
Start your free case review
Representing injured Victims
In Happy Valley and Throughout All Of Oregon
An accident might only take a second, but the repercussions can last for years. Many personal injury victims immediately require expensive medical care, including surgery or rehabilitation. At the same time, many of them are so badly injured they can’t even think about returning to work. This is the perfect storm for financial and emotional stress.
Helpfully, those hurt in accidents might bring a personal injury claim. At Johnston Law Firm, P.C., our attorneys have the skills needed to hold liable parties accountable and seek maximum compensation. This is a challenging process for those hoping to handle their claim on their own. Contact our law firm today to speak with one of our Happy Valley personal injury lawyers.
About Johnston Law Firm
We Handle a Full
Range of Personal Injury Claims
Accidents can happen anywhere in Happy Valley. Some people are hurt stepping into a grocery store or while visiting a friend. Others are injured out on the road, when they are hit or forced off the highway by dangerous drivers. The facts of each case are unique. But the law is the same. If someone negligently or recklessly harmed you, we can sue.
At Johnston Law Firm, our team has tackled many of the most difficult personal injury cases:
- Motor vehicle wrecks which injured motorists, pedestrians, motorcyclists, and bicyclists. A dangerous or negligent driver might strike you because they were distracted, intoxicated, or for some other reason.
- Premises liability accidents, where a visitor is hurt by a defect or hazard on the property. A property owner owes certain duties to keep a property safe, but negligent maintenance might lead to tragedy.
- Slip and falls, which send pedestrians tumbling and can cause serious head or back injuries.
- Product liability cases, where people are hurt by a defectively designed or manufactured product.
- Medical malpractice incidents, in which medical providers fail to follow the correct standard of care. Many patients are harmed by diagnostic errors, surgical mistakes, medication errors, and other mix-ups.
- Wrongful death resulting from an accident. Oregon law gives certain family members the right to seek compensation following the death of a loved one.
Personal Injury Claims
Oregon law allows accident victims to make a claim for damages when they are injured. These claims are complicated. Often, we begin by submitting a claim to the defendant’s insurer. We might also need to file a lawsuit.
Personal injury claims have certain elements:
- Demand for damages. We can request compensation from the defendant for all economic losses, such as lost income or the cost of your medical care, as well as for non-economic damages like pain and suffering.
- Negotiation and mediation. Few defendants agree to our initial demand, so we might engage in negotiation. Mediation is a process of meeting with an impartial mediator to discuss the case.
- Settlement. If the defendant agrees to our demands, we can draft a settlement agreement. The settlement will state how much compensation the defendant is paying you.
- Discovery. If we must go to trial, we engage in discovery. This is the process of uncovering facts about the case and can involve depositions under oath.
- Judgment. At trial, a judge hands down a verdict assigning fault for the accident and how much a victim receives. Most of our clients settle for a fair amount so trial is unnecessary, but our lawyers are always prepared to head into court, if needed.
Don’t miss out on these common personal injury mistakes.
The Role of
Most of our personal injury cases involve negotiating with the defendant’s insurer. For example, a business should have liability insurance, and a homeowner might have a homeowner’s policy. Motorists usually have whatever insurance is required by the state of Oregon.
Negotiating without the benefit of a lawyer often leads to smaller settlements. Few victims really understand how to value a claim, and insurers take advantage of that fact. Insurance companies have grown large by aggressively negotiating with an eye toward their bottom line and avoiding the payment of fair settlements. You benefit from having our experienced team all focused on receiving a settlement that works for you.
Personal Injury (FAQS)
The personal injury claims process is confusing, and many accident victims have questions about how to proceed. We have provided answers to the most common questions below.
Yes. You can afford to hire Johnston Law Firm because we represent accident victims like you on contingency. With this type of fee agreement, we only accept attorneys’ fees if we win your case. This is also called a “no-win, no-fee” agreement, and it makes a seasoned attorney immediately available for no upfront cost.
We recommend getting medical care promptly. Call an ambulance if you need one. Also remember to swap personal information with the person driving a car that hit you or the owner of the property where you were hurt. Without this information, it is harder to make a claim.
A person only needs to pay compensation if they are liable or “at fault” for an accident. We determine fault by looking at the facts. In Oregon, fault can be shared. If you are mostly at fault, you can’t sue the defendant. However, if your fault is not greater, you can still sue though you will receive less in compensation.
We look at everything. For example, we can review pictures of the scene of the accident. We might also visit the accident scene personally. Witnesses are a big help. They can testify about what they saw.
Not long. Depending on the type of accident, you might have as little as two years from the date of the accident. We recommend contacting an attorney quickly.
Contact Us for a FREE Consultation
– Michelle E.
Mr. Johnston and his firm were incredibly thorough in getting us a fair settlement from our insurance company with little to no pressure. We really appreciated having someone who truly cared about us every step of the way. I would highly recommend the Johnston Law Firm to anyone in need of personal injury representation.
Contact Us for a Free Consultation
The Happy Valley personal injury lawyers at Johnston Law Firm can meet with you at a convenient time and location to discuss your accident. You can rely on our experience and skill to seek the most compensation for your case allowed by Oregon law. Please contact us to set up an appointment.
Contact Us for a FREE Consultation
If you have been seriously injured at no fault of your own, please contact us using the form.
CALL 503-546-3167 NOW