We Handle a Full Range of Personal Injury Claims
Accidents can happen anywhere in Happy Valley. Some people are hurt stepping into a grocery store or while visiting a friend. Others are injured out on the road, when they are hit or forced off the highway by dangerous drivers. The facts of each case are unique. But the law is the same. If someone negligently or recklessly harmed you, we can sue.
At Johnston Law Firm, our team has tackled many of the most difficult personal injury cases:
- Motor vehicle wrecks which injured motorists, pedestrians, motorcyclists, and bicyclists. A dangerous or negligent driver might strike you because they were distracted, intoxicated, or for some other reason.
- Premises liability accidents, where a visitor is hurt by a defect or hazard on the property. A property owner owes certain duties to keep a property safe, but negligent maintenance might lead to tragedy.
- Slip and falls, which send pedestrians tumbling and can cause serious head or back injuries.
- Product liability cases, where people are hurt by a defectively designed or manufactured product.
- Medical malpractice incidents, in which medical providers fail to follow the correct standard of care. Many patients are harmed by diagnostic errors, surgical mistakes, medication errors, and other mix-ups.
- Wrongful death resulting from an accident. Oregon law gives certain family members the right to seek compensation following the death of a loved one.
Personal Injury FAQs
The personal injury claims process is confusing, and many accident victims have questions about how to proceed. We have provided answers to the most common questions below.
Can I afford a lawyer?⌄
You can obtain amounts for your economic damages, including medical costs and lostYes. You can afford to hire Johnston Law Firm because we represent accident victims like you on contingency. With this type of fee agreement, we only accept attorneys’ fees if we win your case. This is also called a “no-win, no-fee” agreement, and it makes a seasoned attorney immediately available for no upfront cost.
What should I do after an accident?⌄
We recommend getting medical care promptly. Call an ambulance if you need one. Also remember to swap personal information with the person driving a car that hit you or the owner of the property where you were hurt. Without this information, it is harder to make a claim.
What is fault?⌄
A person only needs to pay compensation if they are liable or “at fault” for an accident. We determine fault by looking at the facts. In Oregon, fault can be shared. If you are mostly at fault, you can’t sue the defendant. However, if your fault is not greater, you can still sue though you will receive less in compensation.
What evidence determines fault?⌄
We look at everything. For example, we can review pictures of the scene of the accident. We might also visit the accident scene personally. Witnesses are a big help. They can testify about what they saw.
How much time do I have to sue?⌄
Not long. Depending on the type of accident, you might have as little as two years from the date of the accident. We recommend contacting an attorney quickly.
The Role of Insurance Companies
Most of our personal injury cases involve negotiating with the defendant’s insurer. For example, a business should have liability insurance, and a homeowner might have a homeowner’s policy. Motorists usually have whatever insurance is required by the state of Oregon.
Negotiating without the benefit of a lawyer often leads to smaller settlements. Few victims really understand how to value a claim, and insurers take advantage of that fact. Insurance companies have grown large by aggressively negotiating with an eye toward their bottom line and avoiding the payment of fair settlements. You benefit from having our experienced team all focused on receiving a settlement that works for you.
Free Confidential Case Evaluation
Contact us today at
We’re conveniently located in downtown Portland, and we offer flexible hours by appointment.