Hood River PERSONAL
Start your free case review
Representing injured Victims
In Hood River and
Throughout All Of Oregon
Hood River continues to see strong population growth, with the number of residents almost doubling since 1990. The pace of arrivals hasn’t slowed down in the past few years. With so many families moving in, the number of accidents in our community are bound to increase. This means more traffic accidents, more slip and falls, and more premises liability incidents.
At Johnston Law Firm, we provide the legal services accident victims need to make claims for compensation. With the right attorney by your side, it is possible to hold the person who injured you legally accountable. To learn more, contact our firm today. You can schedule a consultation with our Hood River personal injury lawyer.
About Johnston Law Firm
Accidents might be unintentional, but that doesn’t mean someone isn’t ultimately responsible. Under Oregon personal injury law, people must act with reasonable care under the circumstances. When they don’t, and they end up harming someone, then they are negligent. We see negligence contribute to many accidents, including:
- Car and motor vehicle wrecks. Anyone on the road can be struck by a car, truck, or other motor vehicle.
- Premises liability accidents. Dangerous conditions on private or public property can injure a person, like a hole in the ground or a staircase that collapses.
- Slip and falls. Many hazards underfoot can cause a person to fall, including ice, spilled liquids, snow, trash, or loose tiles.
- Product liability. Dangerous products can cause serious injuries due to a defect with design, manufacture, or inadequate safety instructions.
- Medical malpractice. A medical professional must follow the applicable standards of care so that patients are not harmed. Medical errors lead to all sorts of mistakes, such as delayed diagnosis or childbirth injuries.
- Wrongful death. Many accidents are fatal. Oregon law allows some family members to receive compensation in a wrongful death case.
Personal Injury Process
Injury claims are often confusing for victims, who might not be familiar with the terminology. Personal injury claims follow a typical process:
- Damages. You or your attorney can calculate your damages by adding up economic losses like medical bills, property damage, or lost income. You add this amount to non-economic losses like emotional distress or pain and suffering.
- Complaint. You or your lawyer file paperwork in court requesting damages and naming the defendant.
- Mediation. Judges usually send parties to mediation to talk about the case with an impartial mediator. The goal is to try and reach agreement so that you avoid trial.
- Settlement. If you agree, you can draft and sign a settlement agreement. Accident victims usually need to release the defendant from further liability in exchange for any compensation they receive.
- Verdict or judgment. If your case goes to trial, a jury or judge might determine liability. The court delivers a judgment in one side’s favor.
Don’t miss out on these common personal injury mistakes.
Any accident victim without a lawyer might find themselves instantly over their heads. Few insurance companies will offer fair compensation to someone without legal representation. Instead, you might feel as if you are walking in a maze.
Johnston Law Firm in Hood River is committed to our client’s best interests. We can help you whether you are just leaving the hospital or have already had your claim denied by an insurer. We begin negotiation by properly valuing a claim and then negotiating an aggressive settlement. Insurers in Oregon are aware of the passionate commitment we bring on behalf of clients. They know that their familiar tricks will not work with us.
Negligence is the failure to act as a reasonably prudent person would when you have a duty to do so. There are some obvious duties, such as a duty to follow traffic safety rules, or to warn someone of a hazard which they can’t see when they come on your property.
Oregon has laws that lay out the maximum amount of time. Generally, someone with personal injuries gets two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. If someone died, then you have three years from the accident which caused death to file. You certainly don’t want to go over the deadline. If you do, you cannot receive any compensation.
Not all accidents are black and white. Sometimes, both sides were negligent. For example, you might have slipped on a snowy sidewalk because a store didn’t shovel it after a storm. At the same time, you were scrolling through messages on your phone and didn’t check where you were walking. In this example, both sides are partially at fault for the accident. Under Oregon law, you can still sue for injuries if you were 50% or less at fault.
There are definite advantages. A lawyer can quickly identify what evidence you need. This is very complicated, especially in medical malpractice or truck accident cases. The evidence might be hard for a lay person to find. An experienced attorney, however, can have the defendant preserve relevant evidence for review later.
A lawyer is also an excellent negotiator. Without a lawyer, your odds of receiving a fair settlement go way down. Some insurers love nothing more than to see a badly injured claimant without a lawyer.
An experienced attorney is also a must if your case goes to trial. Trying to learn civil procedure or the rules of evidence is an exhausting process. Let an attorney present your case.
Contact Us for a FREE Consultation
- Portland Personal Injury
- Boating Accident
- Brain Injuries
- Burn Injuries
- Catastrophic Injuries
- Child Injuries
- Civil Rights
- Defective Product
- Dog Bite Injuries
- Elder Abuse
- Explosion & Fire Accidents
- Inadequate Security
- Neck Injury
- Sexual Assault
- Sports Injury
- Swimming Pool Accident
- Tenant Injury
- Victims of Crime
- Work Site & Industrial Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Airplane Accident
- Bicycle Accident
- Portland Bus Accident Attorney
- Portland Car Accident Attorney
- Portland Commercial Vehicles Accidents
- Crashes Involving Uber, Lyft & Taxi Drivers
- Distracted Driver Accidents
- Dram Shop Claims
- Drugged Driving
- Drunk Driving
- Accidents Involving Government Vehicles
- Hit and Run
- Motorcycle Accident
- Pedestrian Injury
- Truck Accident
- Snow & Ice Accidents
- Train Accident
- Health Insurance Denials
- Portland Trials and Civil Litigation
- Medical, Device, & Drug
– Michelle E.
Mr. Johnston and his firm were incredibly thorough in getting us a fair settlement from our insurance company with little to no pressure. We really appreciated having someone who truly cared about us every step of the way. I would highly recommend the Johnston Law Firm to anyone in need of personal injury representation.
Free Case Evaluations with a Seasoned Hood River Personal Injury Lawyer
If you were injured in an accident, contact Johnston Law Firm today. Our small, dedicated team of professionals have tackled many personal injury claims, and we bring our deep experience to your case. In a free case evaluation, we can discuss the accident and your injuries before providing an overview of the claims process. Call us today to schedule a meeting.
Contact Us for a FREE Consultation
If you have been seriously injured at no fault of your own, please contact us using the form.
CALL 503-546-3167 NOW