Portland Bakery Shines Light on Subject of Brain Injuries
Any time an accident involves a bump, blot, or jolt to the head, there is a risk of traumatic brain injury (TBI). One of the most common types of personal injuries, symptoms are often subtle and can take days, weeks, or even months to fully appear. While many are unaware of the dangers of brain injuries and the impact they can have on people’s lives, a new bakery in downtown Portland hopes to change that. Run by people who have suffered TBI, their mission is to shine a light on a subject that is often overlooked and misunderstood.
Portland Bakery Offers Hope While Raising Awareness
A January 17th, 2019 KPTV-Fox 12 Oregon news report highlighted a new business that recently opened up at 7828 SW Capitol Highway. With a catchy play on words, the aptly named ‘Sarah Bellum’s Bakery’ is serving up more than just sweets. For people with personal injuries to the cerebellum and other parts of the brain, the bakery represents hope and acknowledgement of the difficulties people with TBI encounter and the contributions they can make.
The idea for the bakery came from a professor at Pacific University and they first began selling cupcakes at local farmers’ markets. Now, with a permanent location, the group is able to employ several workers, has an outreach director, and a host of volunteers. The goal is to advocate on behalf of TBI sufferers, but also to provide them with a place where they belong and to help them acclimate within the community.
According to Oregon Health Authority, close to 3,000 cases of TBI occur throughout the state each year. They are one of the most common types of personal injuries and often happen as the result of the following:
- Motor vehicle accidents;
- Accidents involving pedestrians and bicyclists;
- Slips, trips, and falls;
- Getting struck by or against objects;
- Sports and recreational accidents;
- Acts of violence or domestic abuse.
Recovery From TBI
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) warns that even a minor bump or blow to the head can result in TBI. Symptoms are not always immediately apparent but have the potential to be life threatening. Any time a head injury is suspected, you need to get medical treatment right away.
As the result of TBI, neural pathways can get disrupted, impacting the victim’s physical, emotional, or cognitive functions. Effects may include any of the following:
- Problems with problem solving, memory, and concentration;
- Inability to communicate or understand what is being said;
- Lack of coordination, poor balance, and impaired motor skills;
- Sleep disturbances and personality changes, such as increased agitation, anxiety, and depression.
Contact Us Today for Help
At the Johnston Law Firm, we welcome Sarah Bellum’s Bakery to the community and are proud to provide the legal support and guidance TBI sufferers need to recover from their injuries. If you or a loved one experiences this or other type of injury, contact our Portland personal injury attorneys online or call (503) 546-3167 and request a consultation to discuss how we can assist you today.
- What Are The Real Reasons Behind Pedestrian Accidents In Portland? - April 15, 2021
- Distracted Driving Awareness Month: Reducing Car Accident Risks In Portland - April 8, 2021
- Public Service Announcement Riddle, Oregon - April 5, 2021