Portland Birth Injury Attorney
Childbirth has changed a lot in the past few decades. Instead of automatically going to a hospital for your labor and delivery, many mothers are choosing to go to Portland birthing centers, have home births, use midwives, and/or have waterbirths. No matter whether you have your baby in a hospital with a traditional OBGYN or you choose to have a midwife at home, mistakes can occur that can lead to serious birth injuries.
If a birth injury was caused by the negligence of a licensed professional, you may have the right to file a claim against them for medical or professional malpractice. If you would like to discuss your rights after your child experienced a birth injury, call our experienced Portland birth injury attorneys for a free consultation today.
Common Forms of Negligence in Labor And Delivery
You can only recover following a birth injury if you can sufficiently prove that a medical professional was negligent in some way. This means that the doctors did not meet the standard of care required by medical professionals in their positions. Doctors and medical staff can be negligent in many ways throughout the labor and delivery process, including the following:
- Failing to diagnose and manage dangerous conditions in the mother that may cause complications during delivery;
- Not providing adequate prenatal care;
- Misdiagnosing false labor and sending the mother home;
- Administering drugs to which the mother has an allergy;
- Not properly monitoring the vital signs of both baby and mother throughout the process;
- Failing to provide emergency care if vital signs are concerning;
- Not performing an emergency C-section when necessary;
- Misuse of forceps, vacuums, or other birthing tools;
- Improper twisting or pulling of the baby;
- Not recognizing when the newborn child is in distress and administering neonatal care;
- Failing to monitor the mother following a birth for signs of hemorrhaging or other dangerous conditions.
Common Birth Injuries
While birth injuries can definitely affect a mother, as well, the following are some common birth injuries in children that result from malpractice:
- Brain damage from trauma or lack of oxygen (Cerebral Hypoxia and Anoxia);
- Cerebral palsy;
- Erb’s palsy;
- Joint dysfunctions and bone-development impairments;
- Wrongful death
The above are only some of the many different birth injuries that can have long-term financial, physical, and emotional effects on your child and family. Some birth injuries can require life-long medical care and personal assistance.
How We Can Help
At the Johnston Law Firm, our highly experienced medical malpractice attorneys understand how frightening and devastating a birth injury can be for your family. If your family has incurred financial losses or if your child has suffered long-term effects as the result of a birth injury, we will stand up for your rights to hold your doctor or medical professional liable for their malpractice. We know you are going through a difficult time, but it is important to have a case evaluation as there are time limits to file a claim. Please call today at (503) 546-3167 for a FREE initial consultation.
- Slip and Fall Accidents Due to Winter Weather: A Common Cause of Personal Injuries In Portland - January 21, 2021
- Taking Medications Increases the Risks of Truck Accidents In Portland - January 19, 2021
- To Prevent Pedestrian Accidents In Portland, Take Extra Precautions When Walking at Night - January 11, 2021