Portland Surgical Mishaps Lawyer
Surgery can be a stressful experience with many health risks and long recovery times. However, in some cases, surgery is necessary to repair medical issues and to reduce future symptoms and risks. In these cases, you want to select the most trusted hospital and surgeon to perform your procedure.
Even if you take all of the precautions needed to select a talented surgeon, there is unfortunately still the chance that a surgical error can occur. In some cases, surgeons can correct errors quickly and with few complications for you. In other cases, however, surgical errors can significantly worsen your condition after surgery, prolong your recovery time, cause complications or infections, require hospitalization or additional surgeries to correct, or can even be life-threatening.
At the Johnston Law Firm in Portland, we know how serious surgical mishaps can be. We can identify when victims of these dangerous surgical errors have the right to hold doctors liable for their injuries and suffering. If you have been the victim of a surgical error, please do not hesitate to call our office to discuss your rights as soon as possible.
Common Types of Surgical Errors
Many different mishaps can happen during a surgical procedure. Unfortunately, the patient is normally unconscious and unable to notice errors or protest. Often, victims of surgical errors may not realize what happened for some time or, if the mishap was particularly serious, they may never wake up at all. For this reason, any type of surgical mishap can be frightening. The following are some examples of common surgical errors:
- Nicking an artery or blood vessel;
- Damaging a nerve;
- Making an incision in the wrong part of the body;
- Operating on the wrong side of the body;
- Performing the wrong procedure on the wrong patient;
- Using equipment that is not properly sterilized;
- Not checking the patient’s medical chart or history for possible risks;
- Not performing proper postoperative care;
- Leaving foreign objects such as a sponge or scalpel inside a patient’s body.
All of these errors have the potential to cause complications for patients requiring hospitalization and extensive medical care that would not otherwise have been necessary. In addition, if a patient must remain in the hospital, they will not be able to return to work or their other usual activities, which can result in lost income and loss of enjoyment of life.
Negligence That Leads To Surgical Mishaps
While some surgeons may make honest mistakes during surgery, other surgeons or their teams make errors because they were acting in a negligent manner. Medical negligence occurs when a surgeon acts in a way that does not meet the standard of care set out by law and regulations. Some examples of medical negligence that may lead to surgical mishaps can include:
- Having an untrained or unqualified surgeon perform the procedure;
- Not taking the time to properly plan before the surgery, including reviewing medical records and the procedure to be performed;
- Taking shortcuts or otherwise failing to take every necessary step during the procedure;
- Not properly communicating with the surgical and support team;
- Performing surgery when a doctor is overly fatigued;
- Performing surgery when a doctor or a member of the surgical team is intoxicated or under the influence of drugs;
- Rushing through a procedure or simply neglecting to pay close enough attention to what they are doing;
- Not double-checking that all instruments are present and that nothing is left inside the patient.
How You Can Recover
If a surgeon is negligent and causes you serious injuries due to a surgical mishap, you deserve to recover for all of your financial losses as well as your pain and suffering. You have the right to file a claim against the surgeon for medical malpractice to seek the compensation you deserve. These claims can be complex and difficult to prove in some situations, so you always want to ensure that you have an experienced medical malpractice attorney who understands Oregon law handling your case.
Call Portland Surgical Mishaps Lawyer Marc Johnston
The experienced medical malpractice lawyers at the Johnston Law Firm recognize the technical and complex nature of surgical error cases and we have the resources to stand up for your rights. We have held many medical professionals responsible for injuries caused to our clients and know how to stand up to the insurance companies and hospitals affiliated with these doctors. If you have been injured during surgery, you should call us at (503) 546-3167 or fill out our contact form here. We offer a free initial consultation.
- Pandemic-Related Changes In Annual Winter Light Festival Increase Risk of Personal Injuries In Portland - February 23, 2021
- Pulling Over a Common Factor in Portland Truck Accidents - February 16, 2021
- String of Hit and Run Pedestrian Accidents In Portland Kills One, Leaves Five Others Injured - February 9, 2021