The Fourth of July weekend is right around the corner and the city is still hosting a wide variety of events designed to attract people of all ages. Whether you choose to go out or have your own celebrations at home, it is important to make safety a priority. The following are common personal injuries in Portland that occur over the holiday and tips on how to prevent them.
Preventing Car Accident Injuries
Travel Portland shows a long list of events taking place over the Fourth of July Weekend. There is the Waterfront Blues Festival, the Portland Craft Beer Festival, and the Chamber Music Northwest Summer Festival, along with rides and roller skating at Oaks Amusement Park. All of these are prime locations for having fun and taking in fireworks, which will be set off downtown and throughout the city.
When traveling to events or walking on busy streets, bear in mind that the weekend is one of the most dangerous of the year for car accidents and injuries. To prevent being a victim, take these precautions:
- Wear light, bright colors when walking, especially at night.
- Cross only at designated intersections.
- If riding a bike, make sure you have head and tailights.
- When driving, anticipate traffic and avoid aggressive behaviors such as tailgating and failing to yield.
- If you plan on drinking, avoid walking, biking, or driving home. Rely on buses or ridesharing services instead.
Preventing Swimming Injuries and Boating Accidents
Planning on swimming or sunbathing? Local pools are open and OregonLive offers a list of prime beach spots. Boating is another popular water-related activity. To prevent drownings, boat accidents, and other common causes of personal injuries, follow these tips:
- Avoid swimming alone or without a lifeguard present.
- Keep a close eye on children.
- When boating, follow all safety regulations and keep life jackets on board.
- Watch your speed, particularly in no wake zones.
- In or out of the water, refrain from using alcohol or other intoxicating substances.
Preventing Burn Injuries
Picnics and parties at home or in your local neighborhood may seem like the best way to avoid crowds and prevent personal injuries. However, burns are a common risk. Ways to prevent them include:
- Never leave grills unattended and avoid wearing loose or flowing clothes when cooking.
- If you have a firepit, keep a water source nearby.
- Avoid letting children near areas of open flames.
- Be cautious in planning firework displays.
The City of Portland advises that state law prohibits the possession, use or sale of fireworks that fly, explode or travel more than six feet on the ground or 12 inches in the air.
Reach Out to Us Today for Help
Despite taking precautions, personal injuries can still happen. At the Johnston Law Firm P.C., we help you hold those at-fault accountable for the medical expenses, lost wages, and other costs you incur as a result. To request a consultation, call (503) 546-3167 or contact our Portland personal injury attorneys online today.