Salem Car Accident Attorney
Experienced Car Accident Lawyer Representing Injured Victims in Salem, OR
Salem, as the capital of Oregon, is a popular place to travel. Located just an hour’s drive from Portland, Salem offers a small-town feel, beautiful natural landscape and scenery, and quick access to a bigger city for entertainment. But with travel in and out of the city, as well as around Salem on a daily basis, car accidents are very possible. If you’ve been in a car accident in Salem, our Salem car accident attorney at the Johnston Law Firm wants to meet with you. Our lawyer understands what you’re going through, and wants to provide you with guidance and support during this challenging time.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Salem
If you’ve been in a car accident in Salem, it’s important that you get to the bottom of why it happened and who’s to blame – otherwise, you may not be able to recover the full compensation award you’re entitled to. Car accidents are usually the result of a driver’s negligence, carelessness, or recklessness. Examples of dangerous behaviors that can cause collisions include:
- Speeding or driving too fast for conditions;
- Failing to yield;
- Failing to signal/improper lane change;
- Driving while distracted;
- Driving while texting or otherwise using a handheld device;
- Driving while impaired;
- Driving while fatigued;
- Driving aggressively; and
- Performing any other type of illegal or unsafe maneuver.
Do People Who Cause Accidents Have to Pay for Them?
Oregon maintains a tort liability system of recovery after a car accident, which means that people who cause car accidents are responsible for paying for them. Rather than paying for damages out of pocket, an at-fault driver will turn to their liability insurance coverage, which is required in our state. If the driver doesn’t have insurance or doesn’t have enough insurance, an injured party may be able to recover compensation through their own uninsured/underinsured liability coverage. Additionally, Oregon also mandates that all drivers maintain personal injury protection coverage, which can pay for a portion of your damages after a crash regardless of fault.
Filing a Car Accident Lawsuit in Salem
Most car accident claims are settled out of court through negotiations; however, an insurance company may deny a claim for various reasons, or may refuse to reach a settlement that’s reasonable. If this is the case, a car accident victim maintains the right to bring forth a lawsuit for damages.
If your case goes to court, you will have the burden of proving four different elements. These include:
- The driver owed you a duty of care. This first element is implied, as all drivers on the road owe a duty of care to one another.
- The driver breached the duty of care owed to you. In order to prove this element, you’ll need evidence that the driver did something negligent, such as using their cellphone while driving or unlawfully failing to yield to you at a stoplight.
- The breach of the duty of care was the proximate cause of your car accident. The third thing that you’ll need to prove is that your car accident would not have occurred but for the other party’s negligence.
- You suffered damages as a direct result. Finally, you’ll need to present evidence of the damages you’ve suffered and the value of your claim.
Most car accidents settle before going to court. However, if your case goes to court, our skilled car accident lawyer will provide you with representation. Our lawyer has trial experience.
Damages Recoverable in a Car Accident Claim
When you are involved in a car accident that occurs through no fault of your own, you deserve to be compensated in full for your losses. Our lawyer can help to make sure that you understand the value of your claim, what you’re entitled to, and how to improve your chances of your full recovery amount. Our Salem car accident attorney will advocate for your right to compensation for your:
- Medical expenses;
- Lost wages;
- Property damage expenses; and
- Pain, suffering, and emotional distress.
After a crash, you shouldn’t have to pay for a single cent of your losses out of pocket. By partnering with our aggressive Salem car wreck lawyer, you improve your chances of maximizing your recovery amount.
Call the Johnston Law Firm Today
If you have been in a crash, you need a Salem car accident lawyer on your side who’s willing to fight for you. For a free consultation with the Johnston Law Firm, please call us today at (503) 546-3167 or send us a message online. We care about you, and will work hard on your behalf.