Common Causes of Car Accidents
Many of today’s car accidents are results of poor decision making and human errors. These decisions and mistakes put not only the person committing them in danger, but also everyone else on the roads. The list below shows some of the most common causes of car accidents.
- Illegal lane changes
- Distracted driving
- Driving too fast for the current decisions
- Failing to yield to oncoming traffic
- Failing to avoid oncoming vehicle ahead
These causes put everyone at risk and result in many different types of collisions and accidents. We represent many clients who have been involved in these types of collisions and accidents:
Getting Started on your Car Accident Claim in Silverton
We will listen to you and help you in any way we can. There are a few deadlines you will need to keep in mind if you wish to pursue compensation though. The first is to file that DMV report within 3 days of the accident. This will help the record keeping of your case. The other much more important deadline is two years.
You, as a victim of a car accident have two years from the date of the accident and injuries (same day) to file your case. Although this might seem like a chunk of time, it can fly by and you can get yourself in trouble if you wait too long. Even if you give us a call with six months to go before the two years, it can be difficult to build an adequate case on your behalf, for any attorney. Contact us as soon as possible so we can begin helping you.
Helpful Tips for Car Accident Victims
In a process like after a car accident, it can be easy to be so shocked and scared, or hurt, to be a bit numb to what to do, or who to talk to. What we at the Johnston Law Firm focus on is you. We want you to feel secure and safe in this unknown time. There are some things not to do in this process, while there are some things to make sure to do.
What NOT to do after a car accident
- Discuss the details of the accident with the other driver: this can get both sides into a trickier mess than a car accident already is, especially if you choose to hire an attorney. Let your attorney deal with this side of the incident, while you focus on recovering.
- Give a recorded statement to an insurance company before contacting an attorney: they will call you many times to get more and more information from you. This will progress into a request for a recorded statement regarding the accident. Ignore this call or simply tell them you are not ready. Contact us at the Johnston Law Firm as soon as possible.
- Accept cash as settlement from the other driver (s): this can complicate things for your case as well. Some people may offer but do your best to decline.
Helpful things to do after an accident
- Pull off the road to a safe spot out of traffic
- Take pictures of the other driver’s license plate, license, and insurance coverage card
- Take pictures of all vehicle damage
- Speak with any possible witnesses; gather their name and phone number
- Report the accident to your insurance company and DMV when you get home
- Call an experienced Silverton car accident attorney at 503-546-3167
Free Confidential Case Evaluation
Contact us today at
We’re conveniently located in downtown Portland, and we offer flexible hours by appointment.