Start your free case review
Representing injured Victims
In Tualatin and Throughout All Of Oregon
About Johnston Law Firm
An accident can strike anywhere in Tualatin, at any time of day. Maybe you were struck while driving on I-5 or when pulling onto a side street. Others are injured when stepping into a restaurant or movie theater or else while picking their child up from school.
Wherever your accident happened, you probably are in incredible pain and need financial compensation to defray the cost of your bills. Please contact Johnston Law Firm. Our Tualatin personal injury lawyer can describe how to go about requesting money from the person who hurt you. We can also represent you in the claims process.
Cases in Tualatin
Accidents cause serious injuries, such as fractures, head injuries, and nerve damage. Although they are unintentional, Oregon law allows victims to seek compensation when someone’s negligence causes the accident. Negligence is a legal concept which essentially means the failure to use reasonable care. There are many reasons why people are negligent, including fatigue or distraction. Other people are simply careless. Whatever the reason, a negligent defendant might have hurt you in any of the following:
- Motor vehicle wrecks, including car crashes, where a driver fails to operate their vehicle safely and other motorists and pedestrians are hurt;
- Premises liability incidents, where a property owner doesn’t fulfill their duty of care to visitors;
- Slip and falls, where a failure to address trash, loose tiles, snow, or ice leads to injuries;
- Product defects, where dangerous products fail to work as expected due to certain defects;
- Medical malpractice, including a failure to diagnose and other mistakes;
- Wrongful death, which occurs when an accident victim sadly dies due to their injuries.
Don’t miss out on these common personal injury mistakes.
Claims & You
Oregon tort law allows victims like you to seek compensation. The purpose of this claim is to receive money to make up for certain losses suffered in the accident. Each personal injury claim has certain elements, such as:
- Damages. Damages are the losses you suffered. They can be out-of-pocket financial losses, like medical bills to treat your injuries, or they can be less tangible losses, like pain and inconvenience.
- Claim for compensation. Your attorney will file legal pleadings in court which identify the defendant and make a claim for damages. The defendant (or his insurer) has a chance to respond to your allegations.
- Mediation. We avoid going to trial in most cases, but we sometimes benefit from mediation, where we discuss the dispute with a neutral mediator. The mediator isn’t a judge, but they might make recommendations for how to resolve a dispute which we find helpful.
- Litigation. When negotiations falter, litigation is inevitable. Part of litigation is fact-finding, called discovery. We can request information or ask questions of the defendant under oath.
- Settlement. We can often settle for a fair amount of compensation and have you sign a settlement agreement.
- Judgment. After a trial, a judge will deliver judgment in favor of you or the defendant. If you win, the jury decides the amount of compensation the defendant must pay you.
Our clients are injured by negligent motorists, property owners, and medical professionals. But the defendant on the other side is usually an insurance company which represents the person who hurt you. These insurers must treat claimants like you fairly, but we are sad to report that many do not.
Instead, many victims are surprised to see their insurance claim rejected. The reasons vary, but many denials are unfair and not supported by the facts. As seasoned Tualatin personal injury lawyers, we can work to convince an insurer to approve a claim or increase the amount they are willing to offer.
Regarding Personal Injury
Legal issues are confusing to most people. At Johnston Law Firm, we take pride in simplifying the process so anyone can understand their legal rights and responsibilities. Below, we reproduce some of the most common questions we are asked by the public, with our answer below.
It will depend on your accident and injuries, along with other factors. For example, you can usually receive compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and property damage. However, each case is different. Someone with huge medical bills will qualify for more compensation than someone who maybe went to the hospital once to have a burn cleaned.
There are some limits on settlements, though. One is whether the defendant has enough money. You might be paralyzed in a car accident, but the driver who hit you might have only the minimum insurance required by Oregon. In that case, you will probably have unmet expenses.
We think of accidents as black and white. One person was negligent, and the other was the victim. But some victims are also negligent. For example, you might have slipped on ice outside a store but been looking at your phone while walking. Since you weren’t careful, you are partially to blame for your fall.
Under Oregon law, your compensation is reduced proportionally by your fault. If you were 33% to blame, you’ll receive a third less in compensation. And if you were more than 50% to blame, you will actually receive nothing.
Yes. The statute of limitations provides a maximum amount of time to file a lawsuit. For personal injuries, including medical malpractice, you basically get 2 years. However, if a loved one died in an accident, you have 3 years from the accident to file.
What happens if you go over this deadline? The defendant can request that the judge dismiss the case, and you’ll lose out on the ability to receive compensation.
We do not charge any upfront fees. Instead, we reach an agreement with our clients: if we win your case, we take a percentage of your settlement. If we lose, then we get nothing. This might sound too good to be true, but it’s how we’ve represented hundreds of clients over the years.
Contact Us for a FREE Consultation
– Michelle E.
Mr. Johnston and his firm were incredibly thorough in getting us a fair settlement from our insurance company with little to no pressure. We really appreciated having someone who truly cared about us every step of the way. I would highly recommend the Johnston Law Firm to anyone in need of personal injury representation.
Contact Us for a FREE Consultation
If you have been seriously injured at no fault of your own, please contact us using the form.
CALL 503-546-3167 NOW