Start your free case review
Victims In Vernonia and
Throughout All Of Oregon
If you have been hurt due to the negligent or careless actions of another person, you deserve justice. You are likely suffering from very serious injuries and cannot return to work to pay for the medical bills that are piling up. You may have also lost your ability to partake in the activities that you once enjoyed. You should not have to suffer any physical, emotional, or psychological loss due to an accident that someone else caused.
Personal injury law is a legal area that allows you to claim compensation for any loss you sustained during an accident. Filing a personal injury claim comes with many challenges. Our Vernonia personal injury lawyer can help you claim the maximum damages you are entitled to.
About Johnston Law Firm
People become hurt in many different ways in Vernonia. The most common personal injury practice areas include:
- Motor vehicle accidents that involve cars, trucks, and motorcycles
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Premises liability accidents, when someone is injured on another person’s property
- Medical malpractice
- Workplace accidents, including those that occur on construction sites
- Accidents caused by defective products
- Wrongful death
The Process of Filing
a Tort Action in Vernonia
The law on tort legal actions is outlined in Chapter 31 of the Oregon Revised Statutes. It is this section of law that allows you to file a claim against a negligent or careless party to obtain financial compensation for your losses. There are many elements of filing a lawsuit against another party. They include:
- Filing a claim: Even before filing your claim, a Vernonia personal injury lawyer will accurately value your claim to ensure you receive the full compensation that will fully pay for your injuries. Your lawyer will then make sure your paperwork is filed properly and with the appropriate court so you receive the full and fair damages you justly deserve.
- Mediation: Mediation is often a great help when negotiating with the other side for compensation. During mediation, you and your lawyer will meet with the liable party, as well as an impartial mediator. The role of the mediator is to help you and the other side reach a fair agreement without the need to go to court.
- A settlement: The vast majority of personal injury cases end in a settlement rather than a trial. Settlement negotiations will begin at the very start of your case, and they will continue until your case is resolved. Most people do not have the necessary experience to negotiate a fair settlement for themselves and so, it is always advised that you work with a Vernonia personal injury lawyer.
- Compensation: The monetary compensation available in personal injury claims is legally known as damages. Economic damages are those that have a concrete dollar value. Medical expenses and lost income are some of the most common types of economic damages. Non-economic damages, on the other hand, include compensation for losses that do not have an actual dollar value. Pain and suffering and loss of companionship and support are some of the most common types of non-economic damages.
- Judgment: If your case cannot be settled outside of court, you will have to go to trial, which can either be heard by a judge and jury or a judge alone. If the judge or jury makes a decision, the judge will issue a judgment, outlining whether you have a right to compensation and if so, the amount you deserve.
Don’t miss out on these common personal injury mistakes.
Do Not Deal with the
Insurance Company Alone
Most personal injury claims are filed with an insurance company, and not the person or entity who caused the injury. For example, if you were hurt inside someone else’s home, you would file a claim with the company that provides them with homeowner’s insurance. Or, if you were injured by a distracted driver, you would file a claim with the insurer who provides them with auto insurance.
Accident victims sometimes make the common mistake of thinking that insurance is there to protect them, and that the insurer will happily offer the full amount of damages they need. Unfortunately, this is rarely true. An insurance adjuster will likely reach out to you shortly after your accident. They will act friendly and as though they really want to help you. This is rarely true. Instead, the adjuster is hoping that you will accept a settlement offer that is far lower than you deserve and that will not cover all of your losses.
Insurance companies also use many tactics to deny accident victims a full settlement. They may ask you to make a recorded statement so they can later use your own words against you. Or, they may ask you to sign a medical release so they can obtain your medical history and look for a pre-existing injury, and not the accident, to blame for your current condition.
To ensure the insurance company is not successful with these tactics, and that you obtain the maximum damages you are entitled to, it is always best to speak to a Vernonia personal injury lawyer. An attorney will know the tactics insurance companies use, and how to avoid them so you are treated justly and fairly. A lawyer will also have the expertise to negotiate with the insurer to make sure that you receive the damages you need to make a full recovery. Even if an insurance adjuster contacts you in the days following an accident, you should always redirect them to a lawyer who is fighting on your behalf.
Contact Us for a FREE Consultation
– Michelle E.
Mr. Johnston and his firm were incredibly thorough in getting us a fair settlement from our insurance company with little to no pressure. We really appreciated having someone who truly cared about us every step of the way. I would highly recommend the Johnston Law Firm to anyone in need of personal injury representation.
Let Our Personal Injury Lawyer in Vernonia Review Your Case
If you have been hurt by the careless or reckless actions of another person, you deserve compensation for your losses. At Johnston Law Firm, our Vernonia personal injury lawyer has a proven track record of helping accident victims obtain the full settlement they are entitled to. We can put our experience to work for you, too. Call us now at 503-496-7949 or contact us online to schedule a free review of your case and to obtain the sound legal advice you need during this difficult time.
Contact Us for a FREE Consultation
If you have been seriously injured at no fault of your own, please contact us using the form.
CALL 503-546-3167 NOW