Filing Your Personal Injury Claim On Time
In the state of Oregon, under law you have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury claim. This date will also be the date of the accident. If you do not file within this time frame, the state will deem your claim “time-barred” and you will no longer be eligible for compensation.
Two years may seem like a lengthy period of time, but you should know, the more time that passes before you file a claim, the more likely possible evidence in your case could disappear or deteriorate. Missing any deadlines can result in you losing your legal rights. The sooner you contact us at the Johnston Law Firm, the sooner we can begin fighting for you.
Damages in Lebanon Car Accident Cases
- Economic Damages: compensate an injured plaintiff for direct financial losses, such as medication costs, hospitalization stays, surgery bills and lost wages. Economic damages are defined by Oregon law as “objectively verifiable monetary losses including but not limited to reasonable charges necessarily incurred for medical, hospital, nursing and rehabilitative services and other health care services, burial and memorial expenses, loss of income and past and future impairment of earning capacity”.
- Noneconomic Damages: compensate an injured plaintiff for more subjective losses such as emotional trauma or distress. Oregon law defines these as “subjective, non-monetary losses, including but not limited to pain, mental suffering, emotional distress, humiliation”. These damages are more difficult to quantify, as emotional pain can be traumatic and long-lasting, as well as difficult to recover from.
Both of these types of damages are designed to compensate the victim for their losses. When you work with us at the Johnston Law Firm, we will listen to what you have been through, how you are recovering and progressing and fight to get what you deserve.
Contacting an Experienced Lebanon Car Accident Attorney
If you were or a loved one has been injured or passed away due to injuries in an auto accident in Lebanon, you may be eligible to pursue and acquire compensation. The Johnston Law Firm is here to help guide you through this unsure time whether you are filing an auto insurance claim or seeking compensation for your injuries. Do not hesitate to give us a call for any of your legal needs.
Important Items to Know in Car Accident Cases
Unexpected car accidents are scary for many reasons, but one main reason is the unknown. Who do I talk to when I get hit? What information do I need to get? These are just two questions out of many you might have after getting in a car accident in Lebanon, Oregon. Below are some helpful tips and things to know if you get in a car accident:
- Obtain photos of the damage done to your vehicle and the other driver’s vehicle: could also be missing pieces of the vehicle in another location
- Take pictures of their driver’s license, insurance information
- Take pictures of where you are: street name, cross street, landmarks
- DO NOT speak of any details of what happened with the other driver or witnesses
- Make contact with any witnesses if possible: write down or record what they saw
- DO NOT give any recorded statements to insurance companies before speaking with an attorney. They will call, you can choose not to answer or simply tell them you are not ready to give a statement.
Free Confidential Case Evaluation
Contact us today at
to get a FREE, confidential case evaluation
We’re conveniently located in downtown Portland, and we offer flexible hours by appointment.