How an attorney can help you after a car accident
Car accidents open a confusing and stressful world to the average person, which is why we are here to help. If you initially doubt the idea of hiring a lawyer, here are a few things we can help with.
- We will handle the insurance companies while you and your loved ones recover physically.
- We will protect you from getting taken advantage of by insurance companies. Insurance companies do not like when our firm gets involved because they know we do not let anything slide. We ensure you are protected and treated fairly.
- We do not charge any fees up front. We do not get paid until we win a settlement for you.
- We ensure your insurance coverage covers the fees they are entitled to cover.
- We conduct our own investigation of the facts of the case to better build your case.
- Cases like these rarely go to trial but we prepare every day like there is a trial date.
Common Pains and Injuries from Car Accidents in Scappoose
- Upper neck stiffness and soreness
- Lower back stiffness and soreness
- Lower body trauma
- Head trauma
- Bulging discs in back
- Herniated discs in back
Regardless of how you feel after the accident, you and anyone involved should attempt to seek some type of medical attention. This could just be an urgent care visit to give a quick look to make sure everything is ok. Pains and injuries may take time to appear, so it is important not to disregard the fact that you feel fine right after. Many times, victims do not feel anything minutes or hours after an accident because of the adrenaline your body is producing.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
As varied as injuries from car accidents can be, the causes of those accidents can be even more varied. Many auto accidents are results of human error and lack of care or attention. Some of the most common causes are directly a result of conscious or unconscious decisions. There does tend to be common causes of these events, such as:
- Driving too fast for the current conditions
- Distracted driving (intoxicated, texting)
- Illegal lane changes
- Following too closely behind
- Failing to avoid oncoming vehicle ahead
Don’t miss out on these common personal injury mistakes.
What Damages Can I Receive Compensation for?
In the state of Oregon, car accident cases can make victims eligible to receive two types of compensation. Both types of compensation are designed to compensate the victim for their losses, whether based on vehicle damage or emotional scarring.
Economic Damages: compensate an injured plaintiff for direct financial losses, such as medication costs, hospitalization stays, surgery bills and lost wages. Economic damages are defined by Oregon law as “objectively verifiable monetary losses including but not limited to reasonable charges necessarily incurred for medical, hospital, nursing and rehabilitative services and other health care services, burial and memorial expenses, loss of income and past and future impairment of earning capacity”.
Noneconomic Damages: compensate an injured plaintiff for more subjective losses such as emotional trauma or distress. Oregon law defines these as “subjective, non-monetary losses, including but not limited to pain, mental suffering, emotional distress, humiliation”. These damages are more difficult to quantify, as emotional pain can be traumatic and long-lasting, as well as difficult to recover from.
Free Confidential Case Evaluation
Contact us today at
We’re conveniently located in downtown Portland, and we offer flexible hours by appointment.