Know What to Do After a Bicycle Accident In Portland
Even the most cautious and experienced cyclists can find themselves involved in a bicycle accident in Portland. Despite wearing a helmet and taking other precautions, serious and potentially life-threatening injuries may occur as a result. In many cases, the reckless actions of others involved are to blame. The following details what you need to do in the aftermath to protect yourself and your rights in a bicycle accident claim.
Know The Risks
Bicycling is a popular hobby in Portland and in other areas throughout the state. Unfortunately, bicycle accidents are common as well. When it comes to crashes and collisions, Governing lists Oregon as the seventh most deadly state for bicyclists. An average of one fatal bike accident happens per month while dozens of other victims suffer serious personal injuries. To protect yourself, it is important to be aware of factors that put you at risk:
- Lack of safety precautions: Not wearing a helmet, not properly maintaining your bicycle, and not riding in designated bike lanes increase the likelihood of bike accidents and injuries.
- Dangerous roads: Riding in road construction areas, places where there are a lack of traffic signals, and in sections of the city that experience heavy traffic increase the odds a bike accident will happen.
- Reckless drivers: Always be on the lookout for motorists engaged in dangerous behaviors such as speeding, running red lights, and driving while impaired.
When a Bicycle Accident Happens
Despite taking precautions, bicycle accidents can still happen. When they do, it is important to follow these steps:
- Report the accident immediately to law enforcement;
- Get a description of the driver, their vehicle, and the time/place where the accident occurred;
- Get medical attention for your injuries, regardless of your symptoms or how minor they may appear;
- Take photos of the vehicle involved, the accident scene, and your injuries, if possible;
- Get a copy of the police report, which will contain contact and insurance information for the at-fault driver.
Depending on the circumstances, you may be able to seek compensation through the at-fault driver’s insurer. Before making any statements or accepting any settlements, speak with our Portland bicycle accident attorneys first. It is not uncommon for insurers to either deny or downplay claims. We aggressively negotiate with these companies on your behalf to ensure you get the maximum amount you deserve.
If your injuries are severe or the driver is uninsured, we can guide you in filing a personal injury lawsuit against them. Under the Oregon Revised Statutes, damages you may be entitled to include coverage of current and future medical expenses, reimbursement for lost wages and future losses in earnings, and compensation for the pain and suffering your bike accident causes.
Let Us Help You Today
You have only one chance to get the compensation you need to recover when a bike accident happens. Get the Johnston Law Firm P.C. on your side. Call (503) 546-3167 or contact our Portland bicycle accident attorneys online and request a free consultation today.
- What Are The Real Reasons Behind Pedestrian Accidents In Portland? - April 15, 2021
- Distracted Driving Awareness Month: Reducing Car Accident Risks In Portland - April 8, 2021
- Public Service Announcement Riddle, Oregon - April 5, 2021