Six Common Bicycle Accident Injuries
On behalf of The Johnston Law Firm, P.C. posted in Bicycle Accidents on June 15, 2020
Portland has a large, thriving cycling community and the city has taken steps to ensure the proper infrastructure is in place to accommodate them. Unfortunately, despite the addition each year of more bike trails, designated bike lanes, and traffic signals at busy intersections, bicycle accidents continue to be a regular occurrence. In the majority of cases, it is the reckless actions of motorists that are ultimately to blame. With little to protect them, injuries victims suffer in even minor bike accidents have a tendency to be severe. The following details six common and serious types of bike accident injuries you need to be aware of.
Bicycle Accident Injuries in Portland
People throughout Portland rely on bicycling for recreational purposes, for traveling to and from work, and as a means of staying physically fit. Both the amount of cyclists on the road and the amount of traffic throughout the city make bicycle accidents and injuries more likely to happen. The latest statistics from the Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT) are alarming:
- As many as five or more bicyclists are killed in bicycle accidents involving motor vehicles each year.
- More than 20 bicyclists suffer what PBOT terms ‘serious injuries’ as a result of bike accidents. These are defined as injuries that prevent the victim from walking, driving, or engaging in other normal daily activities.
- Dozens more victims suffer personal injuries that are considered less severe, but can still prevent them from working or engaging in their favorite hobbies while resulting in mountains of medical expenses.
Common Types of Bicycle Accident Injuries
While adult cyclists are not required to wear a bicycle helmet in Portland, it is generally encouraged, as are other types of safety gear. However, even with these protections in place, bicyclists are among the most vulnerable road users. Even in seemingly minor bike accidents, the injuries they suffer may be severe. According to the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP), among the most common types of bicycle accident injuries include:
- Head injuries: Injuries such as concussions, fractured skulls, and traumatic brain injuries (TBI) are common among cyclists.
- Face and eye injuries: Bicyclists are in danger of suffering facial or dental fractures as a result of crashes, as well as eye injuries that can permanently impact their vision.
- Musculoskeletal injuries: Broken bones, dislocated joints, and torn muscles or tendons are all common.
- Chest injuries: This includes fractures ribs and potentially life threatening lung injuries.
- Abdominal injuries: Fractured spleens, renal contusions, traumatic hernia, and other types of internal trauma can happen as a result of being thrown from a bike or due to crushing injuries.
- Road rashes, cuts, and burns: Contact with the road, with hot engine oils or parts, and shattered glass can all cause major injuries for cyclists in even relatively minor bicycle accidents.
Let us Help You Today
Bicycle accident injuries can impact you for years into the future. To get the compensation you need to recover, reach out to the Johnston Law Firm P.C. Call (503) 546-3167 or contact our Portland bicycle accident attorneys online to request a consultation today.Biking Portland’s Protests As Bike Riding Surges Due to Pandemic, Be Aware of Bicycle Accident Risks Protecting Children Against Bicycle Accidents Distraction Plays a Major Role in Bicycle Accidents